Leading Edge Slats/Keller Flaps?

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
1:1 Scale
100+ Posts

Re: Leading Edge Slats/Keller Flaps?

Post by 1:1 Scale »

Yep, I was looking at eventually buying 3 sealed struts to have a complete set. That would have cost me $1 more than buying a complete set at $3276. So I spent an extra $674 to save 9 lbs. and not have an AD to comply with. Plus, I'm selling my one sealed strut, so not a bad deal, IMO.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Wonder what my non sealed struts are worth.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

1:1 Scale wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:53 pm
Yep, I was looking at eventually buying 3 sealed struts to have a complete set. That would have cost me $1 more than buying a complete set at $3276. So I spent an extra $674 to save 9 lbs. and not have an AD to comply with. Plus, I'm selling my one sealed strut, so not a bad deal, IMO.
Interestingly, I was in exactly the same situation (I had one sealed strut, so needed three more) but the math came out differently for me, so I went with three sealed struts.
Three sealed struts came to $2456, vs. $3950 for aluminum, which is a difference of $1494. I couldn’t justify that difference in cost to save nine pounds.

Where did you get the $3276 figure? Is that from Maule? I bought my sealed struts from Airframes.

1:1 Scale
100+ Posts

Post by 1:1 Scale »

Andy Young wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:12 am
1:1 Scale wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:53 pm
Interestingly, I was in exactly the same situation (I had one sealed strut, so needed three more) but the math came out differently for me, so I went with three sealed struts.
Three sealed struts came to $2456, vs. $3950 for aluminum, which is a difference of $1494. I couldn’t justify that difference in cost to save nine pounds.

Where did you get the $3276 figure? Is that from Maule? I bought my sealed struts from Airframes.
Apparently, I fat fingered the math, and multiplied $819 time 4 instead of 3. :oops: :lol: But whatever, if this thing doesn't float off the ground like a balloon when it's put back together, I'll look for more places to pull weight out of it :lol:

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

The new struts are cool but my sealed struts will last longer than I will and I'd rather put the $3900 toward 35's...
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!