Split Rear (sling) Seat

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
asa
100+ Posts

Split Rear (sling) Seat

Post by asa »

Hello all,
When rebuilding my M7 I'm hoping to split the rear sling seat into two pieces so I could run the airplane in a configuration with 3 people and room for bulky/long cargo. Seems easy enough - just cut the rear seat upholstery in half and add some material to close off the cut sides. My airframe has the mount points for individual seat belts back there so that is no issue. I realize the mount bars would still be in place and limit some cargo but it would still create more space.

Clearly it can be done easily but wondering if anyone had went this route and had any pictures, lessons learned, ideas, etc so I don't re-invent the wheel.

Thanks,
Asa

montana maule
100+ Posts

Re: Split Rear (sling) Seat

Post by montana maule »

I did exactly that so I could set more gear on the floor next to the back seat passenger. I found someone to sell me an extra set of back seat cushions and the sling. Took it to an upholstery shop and had them cut it in half and patch the open end. It's not the same color or material as my interior but it works. If not needed I put my original seats back in. I tried to talk the factory into making me the set but I didn't get very far with the idea. I'll try to get some pictures.

asa
100+ Posts

Post by asa »

montana maule wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:59 pm
I did exactly that so I could set more gear on the floor next to the back seat passenger. I found someone to sell me an extra set of back seat cushions and the sling. Took it to an upholstery shop and had them cut it in half and patch the open end. It's not the same color or material as my interior but it works. If not needed I put my original seats back in. I tried to talk the factory into making me the set but I didn't get very far with the idea. I'll try to get some pictures.
Thanks! Yes, would love pictures. I was going to do it with my original seat so it would still match. Not ready to give up my strip club red interior.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

I think that’s more “Brothel Red”, Asa. ;-)

montana maule
100+ Posts

Post by montana maule »

I had to cut the bottom seat frame in half and re-weld. Other than that it is upholstery work. Fits on either side.

asa
100+ Posts

Post by asa »

A little confused as to why you'd need to cut/weld anything but end product is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks!

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I think there's a metal frame inside the sling seat bottom to keep its shape. There are some curved pieces of metal on the seat bottom that fit over the bottom seat tube to keep it from moving forward and allow it to pivot up from the back edge. Shortening the seat bottom and moving one of the curved metal pieces would require re-welding.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

montana maule
100+ Posts

Post by montana maule »

Andy is correct. There is a tubing frame in the bottom seat cushion that needs to be cut to size. You can see it showing under the fabric. The C brackets are located at the bottom left and right of the cushion picture.

asa
100+ Posts

Post by asa »

Ahhhh, got it. Thanks!

Jayson v Schalkwyk
100+ Posts

Post by Jayson v Schalkwyk »

in May, Maule made an announcement on their Facebook page that they have now got FAA approval for the split style rear sling seat. Might be something for folks to look into - contact Maule parts for more info.
1983 M6-235C