Mod Questions

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
FARMAULE
100+ Posts

Mod Questions

Post by FARMAULE »

So I’m About to go down the Mod hole on my new to me M7-235C. My last M4 I really enjoyed some of the mods I did but some others were lacking. My plans for the M7 will be 31s, AcmeAero stinger, ABI/Scott TW, ABI wheels and double pucks to start. I had double pucks and 29s on the M4 and always thought more brakes would be better. First question, is there a better brake option or is there a booster available like the cub guys use? I actually broke a weld on my master of the M4 while breaking. Other main question is who has used the Acme Stinger? Any thoughts? Just installed VGs and can already tell a difference in authority. Best mod for the money on a Maule. I’m all ears!

andy
Site Admin

Re: Mod Questions

Post by andy »

Here's a recommended list of things that you didn't mention:
  • ABW tail spring and bracket. It's wider and stronger than the stock Maule tailspring and bracket.
  • Cleveland double puck brakes with 3/8" rotors and flexible stainless steel brake lines
  • Elevator gap seals are a must
  • I have double tail struts that brace the horizontal stabilizer better, although they are only required for seaplanes.
  • Heavy duty coating option on the 31" ABW tundra tires. They will last longer on pavement.
  • A lot of owners like the ABW extended HD main gear legs but I'm happy with my standard length ABW HD gear legs. The extended gear legs are good if you plan to put a long prop on, though.
  • New style door and window latches
  • New style fuel selector
  • Front observer doors. Rear observer doors too if your passengers like better visibility.
  • AeroLED landing, taxi and strobe/nav lights
Andy
1986 MX7-180

stick_rudder
100+ Posts

Post by stick_rudder »

Congrats on the M7.

-For brake options, the only other thing that comes to mind is Beringer (https://www.beringer-aero.com/en/wheels-brakes). I’m curious though if your Cleveland double pucks were functioning optimally as my experience with various planes in AK with tires from 29”-35” have had good braking when the double pucks are working properly.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

I have ABW 31’s and the full ABW brake and wheel kit on my M4. I can easily lock up the tires or flip the plane. I’m not sure I would like much more braking power. I could see maybe a touch more, but not much.

Is he Acme stinger approved? If you are up for field approving or your just a rebel, I suggest TK1 racing shocks or apparently you can cobble an Acme aero setup onto the mains. The TK1 setup is completely bolt on. This could easily be the best landing mod you could ever do. Certainly VGs are great, but some people hardly know they installed them. But the TK1 shocks are unmistakable in increased performance. I really really wish Maule would take the time to partner with TK1 to get them fully approved for all models. This would be a game changer for Maules.

FARMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by FARMAULE »

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Mine being the C model means I’m stuck with the spring gear so no upgrade on that. I spoke with Berringer and they do not have any STC for Maules. Acme plans on the Stinger being STCd by the end of July.

Ryan in Georgia

Post by Ryan in Georgia »

Im looking at replacing my spark plugs in my 1985 mx7 180c.
I would like to go iridium while im at it.
Does anyone here know which plug i need and if tempest is the best choice?
As long as there are tests in school there will be prayer in schools.