8.50ies on an MT?

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
Craigh-KRPH

Re: 8.50ies on an MT?

Post by Craigh-KRPH »

I'd love to go 8.5's all around on mine if legal. Ran a Tripacer for several years with 8.5 mains and jacked up nose strut with 6.0. Mine is fairly slow, so I doubt the tires would slow it down much more. Would love the extra clearance when going off-road.
Craig Helm
'97 MXT-7-180A
Graham, TX (KRPH)

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

7.00x6 will fit in Maule nose strut. Turn the four attach bolts upside down to get more clearance. Put a 3.75" length of straight radiator hose(slit longwise)secured not too tight with 3 hose clamps. This protects strut from rock chipping and holds prop up clear and prevents nose strut from bottoming onto the oil and seal after nitrogen is compressed or leaked. No more nose strut seals blown, and keeps more load on mains when braking. Less nose dip.
8.00x6 are not much taller than 7.00 but quite a bit wider for softer ground.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

Air Glas has a "Piper fork that will bolt to the Maule nose gear that will allow the 850 to be used.

Smokyray

Post by Smokyray »

Hale,
I bounced your question (as well as a few of my own) off Rautgunde Maule at Maule Flight and got this response:

Smokey,
850 Tires( on standard wheels) can be put on a Tri gear and a 700 tire on
the Nose Gear, but you would have to call us because we can tell you how to
do it.
Regards
RM
(877) 289-6285

Probably tell you exactly what Jeremy and others stated above but worth a call, they're always courteous to me.
V/R
Smokey

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

Ok here is what you will need,

M9 Axels, double puck brakes (199-62 Kit) to clear the gear legs and brakes and the larger fork from Airglas if you want the 8.50 on the nose, if you can use the 7.00 do as Jeremy recommends. I have papers with the double puck 337's and the 8.5's

Hale-Yes
100+ Posts

Post by Hale-Yes »

My apologies, some how I lost track of this thread since last October. Thank you to Wup Winn, Smoky Ray, and Jeremy for posting some great information. I am fallowing your advice. Thanks again. Ed
"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living" Author unknown.