Height with floats

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
branman

Height with floats

Post by branman »

I'm getting a M5 and the seller has access to the floats that use to be on the plane. I'm interested in the floats however, where I plan on having a hangar only has 3 options of hangars with a very large difference in price. The issue is that the header on the mid-priced hangar might be too low. I was curious if anyone has floats on their Maule, if you knew how tall it was. I don't want to get floats just to find out it won't fit in the hangar. The larger hangar would hold it but it is $30k more!

maules.com
100+ Posts

Re: Height with floats

Post by maules.com »

amphibs or straight floats ?
Which brand.
I think I remember the M7-420 top of tail on EDO 2790 was 12'5"(that's a wild guess) and three blade prop had to be one blade down. M7 and M5 will be very similar height.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

branman

Post by branman »

I just found out they are straight floats so I won't be able to get them. So I guess the new question is, is there a type of floats that allow the Maule to sit a little lower when on land vs others? I was hoping to find some that allow the tail to stay under 12 feet.

rev412

Post by rev412 »

I have it stuck in my head that my M6 on Wip 3000s has the tail at 11' 6". I'll measure it the next time I'm at the airport.

Dale Smith

Post by Dale Smith »

Just some food for thought, A friend of mine had the same problem with his Huskey on amphibs. He was able to build some ply wood ramps that he could slide under the front wheels and get the nose up and the tail down as he continued into the hangar. If I remember correctly the ramps went up about 6" then were flat at 6" off the round for about 3 feet. Worked well for him.
No great story started with a good idea...

rev412

Post by rev412 »

My memory was off by about a foot. My M6 on Wipline 3000s measures 10' 6" at the tail. The prop, if one blade was straight up, was a couple inches higher.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Reading these further posts, perhaps I'm remembering my hangar door was 12'5" and moving up slope to the threshold placed the tail really close to the door though with nose wheels going upward brought the tail significantly lower.
My guess would be that the Bauman 2750 and EDO 2500 and 2790 amphibs would be lower than the Wipaire 3000. These are the only commonly used amphibs on Maules.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

branman

Post by branman »

Thanks for all the replies. 10'6" would work for this hangar. I like the ply wood ramp idea if my measurements are wrong on the door. Plywood is expensive right now but I think I can find it cheaper than $30k :lol: