Amorphous M7/M6 Rebuild Project

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
asa
100+ Posts

Re: Amorphous M7/M6 Rebuild Project

Post by asa »

Thanks! I've thought about that myself, in regards to the left side large window. I too like the squared off look. If I were doing the welding myself I think I would go that route. I've seen a few different ways of doing those rear windows including making the bottom diagonal along the tube that is exposed on mine, and making the top square or diagonal. I've also seen people make the right side match the shape of the left side when they put a window in their right side door. Structurally, it's all the same since no fuse tubes are changed.

I bought this fuselage already powdercoated so not worth a second thought in my case. Only welding I did was the rear grab handles and parking brake bracket.

-Asa

AndrewK
100+ Posts

Post by AndrewK »

Makes perfect sense regarding the powder coating and handles. The grab handles will be the first add on my M5 if the fabric ever comes off.
Thanks for the info on this and letting us follow along on the rest.

asa
100+ Posts

Post by asa »

Did the final few finish tapes today - down the top stringer of fuselage, curved leading edge of horizontals. I also added tapes in a few places that I thought could handle some extra protection, namely where fairings will contact - around the wing root, skylight, and boot cowl. Here's a couple pics of various places showing the finish tapes. Despite what they look like in pics, they are the exact same color, however the weave is different (tighter on tapes) so they reflect light different. The last picture looks closest to real life, the tape color differences are exaggerated in the others. There are a few blemishes here and there but overall very happy with how it turned out.

Oratex complete.

wtxdragger
100+ Posts

Post by wtxdragger »

Nice!
Mercifully Free from the Ravages of Intelligence
1989 M7-235 N90KD
1975 T210L N1675X
2022 CCK-1865 N922UM

https://www.instagram.com/wtxdragger/

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Regarding the squared left rear window.
M7 has the lower diagonal tube and is fabric up to that tube because one cannot fit the plexiglas down between the larger window frame and the diagonal tube for replacement when headliner etc is in position.
Suggest doing a dummy fit with cardboard.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

asa
100+ Posts

Post by asa »

Today's project was putting oratex on the cargo door skin and then riveting it all together. Came out great.. although I did it twice because the first piece of oratex I glued on had a crease that I didnt notice until it was glued down. Likely no one would have ever noticed but it was easy to just fix right then and there. I wrapped the fabric around to the backside and put the cut edge underneath the door frame tube so you can't see it. Just need to paint the door hinges and that door will be done.

Planning to do the boot cowl in oratex as well.

gdflys
100+ Posts

Post by gdflys »

Are the rivets painted to match or are they just that close in color? Looks great. Oratex will be so much easier to patch up any holes without having to do all the getting down to fabric or scuff and painting.
Greg Delp
1979 M-5-235C
CT
ATP, CFI, A&P/IA

asa
100+ Posts

Post by asa »

gdflys wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:18 am
Are the rivets painted to match or are they just that close in color? Looks great. Oratex will be so much easier to patch up any holes without having to do all the getting down to fabric or scuff and painting.
They are just plain aluminum rivets, not painted. Nice thing about silver is that it matches bare metal fairly well, especially metal that’s been scuffed. Up close you can clearly see the different color of the rivets but from pictures or 20ft away they are basically invisible.

whittakerw

Post by whittakerw »

Looking good! The oratex over door is a nice touch

asa
100+ Posts

Post by asa »

Thanks! Got bored waiting on some stuff and tried out an idea on the inside of the cargo door. Didn’t want the weight (3 lbs) of the factory interior panel, so I was just going to paint the inside black to match inside of oratex, but then I thought maybe it’d look good to cover up the mechanism with a panel. So 5 minutes later I had this kydex piece. It has a lip bent in it that you can see in pics to close it out and also gives it rigidity and the lip has rubber edge trim on it. Haven’t decided if it’ll stay or not - seems pointless in most ways. Used the old mounting holes and a scrap piece of Kydex so no harm no foul. Even a full panel of this 0.028 Kydex would about 20% the weight of the factory aluminum + glue + faux leather + insulation. With full patroller glass everywhere this plane is already going to be loud and cold so why not make it a little louder and colder.

gdflys
100+ Posts

Post by gdflys »

I'd keep it covered. I've had a lot of camping gear and "stuff" massaged into the cargo area while closing the door. Would be pretty easy to catch on something. That said I guess if you can get the rear passenger door open you should be able to reach back and free up any snags.
Greg Delp
1979 M-5-235C
CT
ATP, CFI, A&P/IA

whittakerw

Post by whittakerw »

X2 for keeping it covered. I don’t have really any experience with kydex, but it looks pretty dang cool from the pics

asa
100+ Posts

Post by asa »

Well, the project (and my life) is about 90% moved across the country from Colorado to Kentucky. Rented a 26' Uhaul ($$$$), loaded everything up, and drove 20 hours east this past weekend. Everything went smoothly, no shipping damage. Only thing that was unexpected, but makes sense, is that my bushwheels totally collapsed going from 5000' to sea level. I was towing my Tercel (the real MVP) so it was a pretty big rig.

Getting the new shop all set up and organized takes a while. Spent the time cleaning it really good prior to bringing anything in. It's not the white-floored corporate hangar I had been using, but I also don't have to pay rent..

The 'donor' M6 also arrived in Kentucky. Wings, engine, cowling, controls, N number, etc etc. It's in good shape except the fabric. Sorta funny how the paint on the fabric is terrible but the paint on the hard pieces is excellent. I'm thinking someone didn't quite do the fabric job correctly? Either way, perfect for me.

A picture of my new beginnings.. That's the M6 landing at the local airport and the house on the hill in the background surrounded by trees is my new house. The land butts up to airport, but no access.

Hale-Yes
100+ Posts

Post by Hale-Yes »

Assa, beautiful work ! If you don't mind me asking, what prompted your move ?
"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living" Author unknown.

asa
100+ Posts

Post by asa »

Hale-Yes wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:03 pm
Assa, beautiful work ! If you don't mind me asking, what prompted your move ?
Being closer to family, housing availability/pricing, hangar availability/pricing.

I'm going to miss Colorado for sure. I will still go to alaska for the summer so I'll get my dose of mountains and adventure.