New Panel

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
Hale-Yes
100+ Posts

New Panel

Post by Hale-Yes »

I have learned so much from members on this forum who have shared the work they are doing to there aircraft, so I want to do my small part. I have been working on a new panel for my MT for the past few weeks when ever I have a few spare minutes. This project really started when I bought Maule's modular bolt-in panel system. I saw a post by ASA on this forum offering to do CAD work on panel projects. I contacted him and sent a drawing of what I was looking to accomplish. He put up with my many changes and tweeks without complaining and did great work. I took his CAD files to my local FAB shop who laser cut the new panels from .063 Aluminum sheet. I'm swapping my EDM 700 for an EDM 930 and I want to mount it where it's easy to see, problem is that realestate is not available on my left panel. My A&P Vince suggested that I build a wedge to mount the 930 on so that it would be still easily visible from the right panel. Asa drew up a design to make one, based on what I thought I wanted. and I had it FAB'ed up. After studing it some, I realized that it still needed some tweeks. So I took my rapidly shrinking sheet of .063 aluminum back to the Fab shop. The owner took an interest in my project, he also saw an opertunity to try out his new 3D modeling program and 3D scanner. He scanned my EDM 930 and Apollo ASU that were going to be mounted on the angled wedge. In 15 minutes, using input from me, he designed a computer model of the panel and the instruments in such a way that he could map the releaf needed in the main panel (behind the wedge) to accomadate the 930 and ASU's pinatration of the main panel. He was also able to design the bends, and the angles that were needed to turn a flat pane of aluminum into a wedge. He sent the CAD file to his CNC laser cutter and CNC break. He cut the panels and then took the wedge to the break where it made precise bends of exactly the correct angles. The result was amazing, after bending (breaking) the wedge, the small mounting holes on the top and bottom panel, lined up perfectly left to right! Then, just to make me feel more inferior than I was already feeling, He tig welded the triangel he made (with his amazing 3D program) to the top of wedge. Even though the aluminum was only .063 thick, He welded it with absolutely no heat warping what so ever. Then He radiused it with a few strokes of sand paper! Se results below. Next stop the powder coater. Now I understand how the Air Force designed, built, and flew a new fighter aircraft in just one year!

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living" Author unknown.

asa
100+ Posts

Re: New Panel

Post by asa »

Looks like the guy was a real craftsman. Love to see projects come together! Sometimes something so daunting can be simplified greatly with a little knowledge from the more experienced. I’m going through this now with my project - it’s magic.

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Watch out for the sharp corner. I fabbed up a similar metal piece when I was ready to install our JPI but my son quickly pointed out that that corner stuck out pretty far compared to anything that would stop your head first. Didn't take long to fab but is still laying on a table back at the hangar. I mounted it flat and its just fine.

Hale-Yes
100+ Posts

Post by Hale-Yes »

I have given that some thought also. I my twenties, I was a paramedic and I know full well what carnage sharp things at high speeds can do. I found a rubber corner protector that will be glued along the top edge and around the corner of the wedge. I found it in a childrens furniture catalog. My padded glair shield extends out 2 1/4 inches from the panel and will help to cover and protect it as well. While on the subject, AmSafe makes some nice air bag products (seat belts). I wish that someone offered a yoke with built in air bag. If you can slow down the deceleration from an impact ( I know, you physics majors out there will point out that your actualy accelerating to a stop, and there is no such thing as decelerating) for about 30 inches, it's amazing what the human body can survive.
"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living" Author unknown.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Nice work! The EDM 930 takes up a lot of real estate but it's a nice engine monitor. I would have to completely replace my panel to make it fit. I think my wife would demand equal compensation for a new kitchen or something similar.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Hale-Yes
100+ Posts

Post by Hale-Yes »

Thanks Andy. I can't take credit for the work, even the idea for the wedge came from my A&P, and all the CAD and fab work were done by people with skills way beyond mine. I knew what I wanted, but with out the help of some very talented people I would not have gotten there. I hear you on that equal compensation thing. If my wife knew what I spend on the plane, she would be living in a much bigger house and I would be living in the dogs house. Thank god for separate checking accounts! There should probably be a 12 step program for aircraft owners. . .