Metal Belly Field Approval

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
Andy Young
100+ Posts

Metal Belly Field Approval

Post by Andy Young »

I have recently received a field approval for a metal belly on an M-6. It is made in four pieces, and is attached with a combination of 1/4 turn fasteners and machine screws, for quick maintenance/inspection access.

I’ve added a few photos, but the reflectivity of the aluminum makes it a bit hard to see what you are looking at. Zooming in helps.

If anyone is interested in doing something similar, let me know and I’ll post up photos of my drawings and the 337.

Andy

MobileandMonitoring

Re: Metal Belly Field Approval

Post by MobileandMonitoring »

This looks like a great idea. How much weight did you gain?
1982 M-6-235. Social Media and Website

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

I can’t honestly say how much weight it added, as I did it while I was rebuilding/recovering the airframe, and I did several other mods at the same time. Overall, the plane ended up being 21 pounds heavier than before, at least that’s what the first set of scales said. I’m going to try verify that with another set if I can find some handy.

Below are photos of my paperwork.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

What is the second metal framed box behind the bulkhead on the passenger side? What I'd really like to see is a way to remove/relocate those v-braces at the rear bulkhead and the flap cable so you can have full length loads/sleep in the back.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

crbnunit wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:43 pm
What is the second metal framed box behind the bulkhead on the passenger side? What I'd really like to see is a way to remove/relocate those v-braces at the rear bulkhead and the flap cable so you can have full length loads/sleep in the back.
You mean the extra battery tray? My battery used to be on the passenger side. I moved it to the pilot side to make room for the ski tube. I left the old battery tray in there because it makes a convenient place to attach a support for the middle of the ski tube.

I suspect there is a way to at least make those angle tubes removable for loading, much the same way that the cross brace on Super Cubs is modified. I just didn’t feel like tackling that right now along with everything else. Was trying to limit the scope of the project so I could get it finished in time for the spring skiing season (and in time to come back to Alaska for work).

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Those diagonal frame tubes are helping control torsional tail feather loads. Don't remove without a structural workaround, which I have seen done.
The flap cable can be moved by placement of pulleys top and bottom on the next fuselage station rearward, however structural proof again will have to be documented for approval.
Both are doable. Adds weight though.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Dkuber

Post by Dkuber »

Maules.com

“ Those diagonal frame tubes are helping control torsional tail feather loads. Don't remove without a structural workaround, which I have seen done.”

Would Maule ever consider making an official extended baggage on their mod list? It seems like there is interest and in the long haul might that be the easiest way for planes to get it done?

Excuse me if I am off, just a low time pilots observation. Who would love to stuff my engine cover back there. Especially since my battery is under the seat.