Bush wheel handling ?

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
pdun971

Bush wheel handling ?

Post by pdun971 »

Has anyone had any experience going from standard 7 or 8.5 tires to a bushwheel who can tell me if it causes any adverse handling in flight. Flew a turbine Maule this summer on 31s and it yawed all over and took a lot of effort to keep coordinated, and the rudder pedals seemed a lot heavier, I’m not sure if it was from the bushwheels alone or a combination of them and the turbine. Am interested in maybe putting bigger tires on for some trips off airport but don’t necessarily want to do it if it means it’ll make it fly so much worse.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I went from 8.5 tires to 31" ABI bushwheels in 2016 but I haven't noticed any adverse handling in flight other than a lot more drag. What kind of main gear was it - oleos or spring aluminum? I haven't flown spring aluminum but I've heard that the oleos damp out oscillations in flight.

I'll probably never change back from the 31" tundra tires. They make landings much easier on just about every surface. The only downsides are increased drag (lower cruise airspeed), cost and faster wear on hard surfaces.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

Have the rigging and control cable tensions checked by someone that knows Maules.
M5

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Re: Bush wheel handling ?

Post by MauleWacko »

:shock:
Last edited by MauleWacko on Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

pdun971

Re: Bush wheel handling ?

Post by pdun971 »

MauleWacko wrote:
pdun971 wrote:Has anyone had any experience going from standard 7 or 8.5 tires to a bushwheel who can tell me if it causes any adverse handling in flight. Flew a turbine Maule this summer on 31s and it yawed all over and took a lot of effort to keep coordinated, and the rudder pedals seemed a lot heavier, I’m not sure if it was from the bushwheels alone or a combination of them and the turbine. Am interested in maybe putting bigger tires on for some trips off airport but don’t necessarily want to do it if it means it’ll make it fly so much worse.
You got to fly a very limited built aircraft. Same as a long wing they have a lot of adverse yaw and hunt the sky. Most guys that have had them or flew them find this out and move on or deal with it. As said before Maule is like Mr. potatoes head, models and opinions vary. :shock:
The difference from my M5 and other M4s and 7s I’ve flown was unbelievable. Maybe there was a rigging problem as suggested by someone else, but the way it handled it looked a lot cooler on the ground than it was to fly.

pdun971

Post by pdun971 »

andy wrote:I went from 8.5 tires to 31" ABI bushwheels in 2016 but I haven't noticed any adverse handling in flight other than a lot more drag. What kind of main gear was it - oleos or spring aluminum? I haven't flown spring aluminum but I've heard that the oleos damp out oscillations in flight.

I'll probably never change back from the 31" tundra tires. They make landings much easier on just about every surface. The only downsides are increased drag (lower cruise airspeed), cost and faster wear on hard surfaces.
That makes me feel better. I don’t think I want to go as big as you did. I’d like to not kill my cruise speed too much, and I’m not trying to go into anywhere too rough or crazy, would just like access into softer fields, sandy areas, and lakes in the winter, I was thinking just ABW 26 or 29s

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

That makes me feel better. I don’t think I want to go as big as you did. I’d like to not kill my cruise speed too much, and I’m not trying to go into anywhere too rough or crazy, would just like access into softer fields, sandy areas, and lakes in the winter, I was thinking just ABW 26 or 29s
If you plan to put a larger prop on or operate where there is tall brush, then the larger tires will get your prop tips out of the weeds during takeoff and landing when you're at level attitude.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Be wary if putting 31" or 35" on wide aluminum gear taildragger Maules.
At higher cruise speeds which the turbine can attain the big tyre windage will set up an oscillation of the gear which over time could lead to fatigue.
It also happens on the 260hp and 235hp units.
Slow down a bit and it goes away, or go with max size 29".
This same effect takes place with 31" on spring steel gear as on the C180 and C185.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

If you are having issues with yaw and other prob you need to check rigging, have flown almost all models with 26"-35" and no issues.