MT Propellers

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
DonMc

MT Propellers

Post by DonMc »

Hello All,

Anyone had any experience with an MT propeller on a Maule. I am thinking about one for my M7 260. I have the 80" McCauley now. Want same or better performance. The weight savings is 30lbs. It would be great to get that weight off the nose.

Don
260BD

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

I use to be on the same field as MT "DED". They talked me into a 4 blade for my Harmon Rocket. I would never do it again.
1. They speak with forked tongue (pathological). And the owner of the company in Germany acted as if he could care less.
2. If you ding a blade it's off to the factory and possible (likely) back to Germany. Blades are built in Germany.
3. If you fish around you will find many complaints.
4. If you do, deal only with the young German guy in Florida, he is the only one that was truthful with me. Sorry, I forgot his name, could be "Jergin"?
5. This company moves slower than a snail. I am told that the big boys always come first. So, if your blade needs to be repaired you will come after those higher on the food chain.
An aluminum blade can be repaired in the field, NOT a composite, it has to go back to MT.
The prop is premo.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

A wooden prop on a bush type plane? I know the Husky guy's love it, but I can't get past the wooden part. Instead of a bad ding, I guess your prop just disentigrates :shock: . Some say that's a good thing.
Is there an STC?

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

We have experimeted with the MT prop. 3 bld for the 180 series. and 4 bld for the 235/260 ones ( i think. not real sure what we had it on ) . if Im not mistaken, its approved for some of the planes. however, Im not real sure which ones. ( personal note. we had it on a MT something.. you really dont wanna do that. makes the cowling damn near impossible to remove ) .. Im off for the week, but i can try to see what its approved for.. and which model it is

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

A wood prop has a bronze or copper leading edge that will handle some big rocks. A wood prop can be repaired in the field, somewhat?
The MT prop will disintegrate like a wood prop. On an experimental I would not be concerned about installing a new prop and flying on in a prop strike situation.
However, the MT prop has a very thin (less than half the thickness of bronze)
stainless shield on the leading edge. An AD has already been issued due to separation of this shield.
The inside of the MT prop is wood laminates covered with a fiber matrix that I am not versed in. This is a much more complex situation than just a wood prop. The Mt prop is MOST LIKELY assembled in a controlled environment. If you bang it up in the outback will the moisture or other factors cause permanent problems?
These props are very expensive, I would not use one in the environment that we or many of us place our Maules in. If you fly in a 182 Cessna environment
then buy one and enjoy the smoothness and light weight. You will be very happy. I would like to shed the weight on my Maule to, but I also go into places that I want Aluminum on the nose.

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

MT guys speak with forked tongue and wouldn't recommend them on a bet for reasons previously stated. Damage prop and it's got to go to Germany for repair. They told me they could get one field approved for O-360 Continental no problem, just pay them $12K in advance. Fortunately, I waited and spoke to the guy that does paperwork at the ANC Show and told them they had it backwards, show me the field approval, and I'll buy the prop!!! Well, to make a long story short, they had no data available this engine, could not get a field approval and weren't interested in STC for combo, thank goodness we didn't send the cash or would probably still be waiting for the refund!!! Another instance, a mechanic friend put one on a LA-200, prop went into BETA (Not an optional selection this aircraft) while in cruz at 7500', MT's response was "that this was impossible as would not be survivable"!!! Well, it happened, pilot probably lost 10yrs from his life span, and fortunate in that he had a place to land right underneath him, but he and aircraft did, in fact, survive... Normal wooden prop repairs do not apply as this is wooden / composite prop built in highly controled environment, and not much allowed for field repairs in their manuals... Even though I know people that have tried prop and liked it, to me just not worth the risk associated, both financial and mechanical..
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

n1264d

Post by n1264d »

On the MT I called and they said they didn't have any stc's for my M6-235. Just another heads up. I know a guy that is using one on his 180 flying around the interior. Just installed it this year. Starts are more difficult without the intertia from the added weight swinging around. We will see how it goes by the end of the year. He was most impressed with getting rid of the calendar time limit on commercial operations and only having a time in service limit.

If the MT isn't so great can anyone reccomend a good prop shop. I would like to have my prop and governor rebuilt or purchas a rebuilt set. Any idea what kind of price I would be looking at? I have the IO-540 with a hartzell.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Northwest propellors. http://www.nwpropeller.com/ I won't try to guess a price though.

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

Thanks for bringing up the starting problem. I forgot about it.
If your battery is not perfect you are in trouble with the MT. She won't swing at all like a metal prop. Those of you in the cold will need a booster battery.
Talk about engine acceleration, holy moly, my rocket airframe would tork sideways big time with just a touch of the throttle.

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

n1264d wrote: If the MT isn't so great can anyone reccomend a good prop shop. I would like to have my prop and governor rebuilt or purchas a rebuilt set. Any idea what kind of price I would be looking at? I have the IO-540 with a hartzell.
dominion propeller in anchorage. 349-5942. they can overhaul your hartzell relatively inexpensively, or they can get you an upgrade. i went with the 81" 2 blade mccauley and i really like it. the 80" 3 blade mccauley is another option for your model. prices are somewhere around $8200 and $10000 respectively.

for the prop governor try wings west governors (800)557-3188
M5-235

BUZZ

Post by BUZZ »

I recently did business with Jerry at Dominion and he actually quoted a new three blade McCauley at $8600 give or take a hundred. Almost went with the 86" 2 Blade but after the prop, spinner and paperwork I think it ended up being a few hundred more.

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

If you're in Alaska, Jerry at Dominion is hard to beat!!! Not the cheapest, but when you factor in shipping from anywhere else, he's competitive... He's also reliable, timely, does good work, knows his business, and will help out with advice whenever needed...
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

n1264d

Post by n1264d »

Thanks for all the info. I will be looking into the Dominion.

n1264d

Post by n1264d »

Quote from Dominion for around $2500. Haven't had a prop done before but seems reasonable for a 2 blade hartzell.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

You have to factor what it would cost to ship it to the lower 48 both ways as well as the time spent in the truck too.