MT Propellers

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
BUZZ

Post by BUZZ »

My bill from Jerry ended up being $3100 that was a 3-blade McCauley overhaul plus blade straightening which was 420.00

Undaunted
100+ Posts

Post by Undaunted »

Anyone out there who has put a 3 blade MT on a M7-235C?
We are getting a new prop and are looking at the 80" McCauley vs MT.

The weight savings off the nose looks very appealing.

Any input and feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael
1999 M7-235C

MrHRC

MT prop

Post by MrHRC »

Quoted from C-FCOM:

I got to know my new MT prop. WOW. Better performance, 2" more clearance, and SO SO smooth. Made me less front heavy and have more useful. Have to get used to the lack of inertia. When you shut down the prop stops immediately and when you start up it's instantly at 1000 rpm. What's nice though is that as soon as you cut power you start you descend no winding down. Highly recommended! Except for the wincing that occurs when you write the cheque.
When all else fails... Try again.

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

I have a buddy with an MT on his C-182 and it is amazing how quickly it reacts to power changes.

I am not ready for the wallet shock, however.

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

Post by Chris in Milwaukee »

If if ever got my rig on floats, I sure wouldn't mind having that MT reversible!
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A
Members: AOPA EAA VAA

JDW

Post by JDW »

Undaunted, I have a MX7180C with the MTV-9-B/200-52 3 blade. Power and smoothness are great. Lost a little in cruise speed. When I got it was thinking about the 2 blade but was worried about extra 3 1/2 inches on skis, don't think I would have lost cruise speed if I had went with 2 blade?

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I considered the 3-blade MT prop for my MX-7-180 but decided to stay with the 2-blade Hartzell metal prop mainly because the metal prop will survive chopping up tough brush on back country airstrips but the composite prop will not. I learned this when flying in the Idaho back country last year. If I had a seaplane, I would seriously consider the 3-blade MT prop since it should provide as much thrust as a longer 2-blade but with the prop tips farther away from the water spray that will eat them up. It would also be lighter.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

I was put under the impression that the MT proper were designed in a manner that made them more durable in back country over aluminum props. I also know at least one pretty extreme back country pilot that runs a 3blade MT and is seemingly very happy with it.

Njacko
100+ Posts

Post by Njacko »

I have about 200 hours on my MTV-15 (2 blade). It has a few small nicks in the rear face from gravel runways and stony beaches, but they're easy to fill with epoxy. The steel leading edges look as if they will last forever. The black tape inboard of the steel leading edges has a few cuts so will need replacing this year.
MX-7-180 N280SA