Front Seat

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
DAT

Front Seat

Post by DAT »

I need a front seat for my M4. Does anyone have one with a good frame they want to sell?

Thanks.

DAT
Maule M4 220C

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Do you not have your old one? They are repairable.

DAT

Post by DAT »

I do have it. The walls of the tube are corroded. The back has broken loose. I don’t know if it’s worth repairing.
Maule M4 220C

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Really shouldn’t be very costly to repair.

G-MAWL

Post by G-MAWL »

As well as renewing tubes etc. to seat frame I added some carbon tape and epoxy resin at the corner of the seat shell to stiffen it up.
One layer inside and out added very little to the thickness but helped a lot.

Derek

DAT

Post by DAT »

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll get the seat cover and foam cushions off and see how it looks. The one area I can see has broken fiberglass on the seat pan near the area where the back is attached. The tubing is corroded in that area I could push a pointed screwdriver through it there.

I may have to order a new one if there are no used ones in decent condition .... we’ll see!

David
Maule M4 220C

DAT

Post by DAT »

I got the seat apart. The tubes were in good shape ... except the seat back tubes were broken at the joint on each side and the fiberglass pan was broken. We welded the seat back and re-fiberglassed the pan and it's as good as new. Wasn't a big deal at all. Thankfully!

I called the factory and they didn't have any seats made up. If they made one for me, the frame is about $500 and the pan is about $600. Glad I didn't need a new one!
Maule M4 220C

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

A common reinforcement when repairing seat frames is to weld a small gusset on the inside angle of the seat back tube and pan tube.

Might be a more complete description in previous threads if you search ‘sear repair’.

Kirk