O-300 to Lyc. O-360 conversion

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
zamfire

O-300 to Lyc. O-360 conversion

Post by zamfire »

My Maule M4 has an O-300 and could really use a little more power. I have choices of the Continental IO-360 or Franklins and while I have nothing really against them, I think a carbureted Lycoming O-360 is the way to go with this. Naturally, I'm on a budget. I'm hoping for something like a mid time to high time engine that I can rebuild (under supervision from y IA, of course).

Specifically I would like to find a -C4F or -C1F, but I'll consider any variant. I'm putting a fixed pitch prop on it.

Has anyone here done this conversion?

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

I think the non C4-F has a crankshaft AD...
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

montana maule
100+ Posts

Post by montana maule »

Go to Maule's web site and look under the modification index. If it's listed, there will be no legal problem to do it. If not I doubt if you can get a field approval to put it on.

plowboy

Post by plowboy »

yep kit # 17 will et you all fixed up
https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/a530ab_b ... ee1cb2.pdf

plowboy

Post by plowboy »

yep kit # 17 will et you all fixed up

montana maule
100+ Posts

Post by montana maule »

Give Maule a call. The original M4 is different than the M4C listed in Mod #17.

zamfire

Post by zamfire »

I did, of course talk to Maule and Mod kit 17 is appropriate for my airplane. I don't suffer from the illusion that you can put any engine in any airplane and "just get a field approval". At least not unless you're friendly with your local FSDO and DER.
I do however have enough engineering knowledge to go through that hassle if I really wanted to, but the Lycoming suits me nicely.

zamfire

Post by zamfire »

Looks like I'll have to wait a while longer. The M4 modification paperwork has been with the FAA for 4 years now while they decide which donuts to get for the meeting that will decide if the world will indeed come to an end if someone puts a Lycoming into an M4.

One reason why I like Experimental.

zamfire

Re: O-300 to Lyc. O-360 conversion

Post by zamfire »

It's been quite a while now since the Mod kit for the Lycoming 0-360 has been approved for the M4. I kept my eyes open for almost two years and have yet to see any O-360-C1F or -C4F for sale anywhere. I wish the kit could have covered any of the -A models, because they are everywhere.

The -Cs have only ever been put into Maules, Huskies and Scouts, as far as I can tell. None of which have been produced in great numbers so there just aren't many out there.

I may need to talk to a DER to see if I can get myself approval for using a -A model and do my own engineering, but I dread completing the process without blowing my top over nonsensical paperwork.

Just took my M4 on a long trip from low level to hot and high mountains and the O-300 really doesn't cut it.

What are people's experiences with the Continental IO-360 powered M4s? I'm a bit concerned about complexity, hot starts, weight and cost and I don't really want to deal with the hassles of a CS prop either. But those engines are out there and the Mod kit too.
1965 M-4 Jetason, O-300 Ser.no 089. Flabob CA.