Maule M4 autopilot

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
johnmo69

Maule M4 autopilot

Post by johnmo69 »

I want to upgrade the autopilot in my M4-220C. I haven't been able to find any STC's that are applicable to my model. Maule drawings only show the Centrury II and IIb. I have the Century II.

Does anyone have any knowledge of whether there are any other Autopilots that can be installed in a M4-220C?

Thanks for any info.

John

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

I would look at field approval for some of the new Garmin stuff. With the STC on 172’s and such I would expect it’s not overly difficult.

StuporRocket
100+ Posts

Post by StuporRocket »

Another one to seriously consider is the Tru-Trak Autopilot. They are the outfit who helped EAA work with the feds to start accepting some of the superior "Experimental" products into certificated airplanes.
Scott@Oglesby.org

"Don't follow me. You won't make it."
PA-12-150
M-7-235

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Talked with Garmin at Sun N Fun and they assured me that Maule was on their to do list for their GFC 500 /600 units and to expect to see approval down the road. The individual that I talked with was pretty knowledgeable about the Maule line so I almost believed him. He volunteered that they would certify first for the higher powered aircraft like M7-260 and then approval would flow down the line pretty quickly. Of course like you all i'm still waiting. Obviously manufacturers with the most units in the field get looked at first.

True Trac who recently joined with the struggling Bendix/King federation has a somewhat limited model list even for the big manufacturers so I would be surprised if the step up.

johnmo69

Post by johnmo69 »

Thanks guys for the info above.

I have the right wing opened up and this a good time to install a new aileron servo.

I noticed GenesysAerosystems (formerly STec) has multiple A/P models for the M5. Anyone have this autopilot system?

I would still like to see if anyone has replaced their autopilot in the M4. Any field approvals out there?

Thanks again for any information.

stevesMaule180

Maule autopilot

Post by stevesMaule180 »

johnmo69 wrote:Thanks guys for the info above.

I have the right wing opened up and this a good time to install a new aileron servo.

I noticed GenesysAerosystems (formerly STec) has multiple A/P models for the M5. Anyone have this autopilot system?

I would still like to see if anyone has replaced their autopilot in the M4. Any field approvals out there?

Thanks again for any information.

Recently had Genesis STec30 2-axis installed in our Mxt-7-180, by Tomlinson Avionics (Pine Bluff, AR).
The STC requires Rudder for steering and wings level, not ailerons. It is amazing that this works, but it does.
Ask for Jerry P. If you look them up.

Expensive equipment, but love it and a life saver when flying in the soup IFR.

- STEVE GIARRATANA 8) 8)
Passing the faster planes, as they re-fuel ðŸ˜￾

Undaunted
100+ Posts

Post by Undaunted »

Im curious why STec uses rudder steering rather than alerons? Anyone know?
1999 M7-235C

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

Post by Chris in Milwaukee »

Just a hunch, but the adverse yaw is pretty pronounced on the Maule (at least it was on mine). Might have been easier to use rudder and let any dihedral take care of the bank.
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A
Members: AOPA EAA VAA

Joe Crecente

Re: Maule M4 autopilot

Post by Joe Crecente »

I have not been able to speak to a Garmin rep about the GFC 500, but I have sent in the form offering my aircraft for the certification process three times with no response. I tried calling them and the recording said it would be over an hour wait to speak to someone the first time and the second time that it would be over 1 hour 46 minutes so I gave up on trying to talk to them. Has anyone heard anything new this year? (2020)

Joe
Joe Crecente
Owner of N3055C, a MX7-180C.
Pilot at last.

johnmo61

Re: Maule M4 autopilot

Post by johnmo61 »

I offered my plane to Dynon for autopilot certification. They were not interested either.