passanger window

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
Mauleflyer

passanger window

Post by Mauleflyer »

What is involved with adding the operateable passenger window? Is it hard to do? I believe it is available via a kit from Maule, is it expensive?

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

I bought the kit from Maule it cost $216.00 + shipping. I am having patroller doors installed but I was told that the swing out window kit takes some welding.
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I emailed Bryan Horn and he told me there was no kit for the rear passenger door. Where did you get yours? I've also been talking to Great Lakes Aero about their photo window modification. They make them for Cessnas but not for a Maule. The Maule plexiglas is too thin and slightly curved. They weren't really interested in pursuing it. Looks like the upper frame on the door is welded to the lower frame, so it would be quite a project to modify one. Too bad because having a swing-out window on the rear passenger door would be a great spot for aerial photos - no strut in the way.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

swing out rear window and flaps may not be able to occupy the same space at the same time.

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

I misunderstood the question when you said passenger I thought of my right seat window that I did purchase a kit form Maule. As for the rear bench seat. I did have a patroller window put in the bottom portion of the door at Maule Mods in Caldwell, ID ask for Johan. The obvious problem for you is location. However I left the top part of the window in place.

http://www.maulemods.com/index.html

Curved doors is an issue because the rear door is made to fit the aircraft aerodynamics. Apparently they can be different in measurements. Therefore it is a custom job if someone is willing to take it on. The kit I got from Maule had to be adjusted by Johan in order to make it fit in the right seat window. It might be possible but it would take some custom work.
As an alternative consider a cut out window in the center of the existing window. Maybe something like the round air hole openings in the front windows but a little bigger. I have also heard of guys that make openings in the floor of the rear area. Just brainstorming here :roll:
Sorry for the confusion.
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

For the best aerial stills or video, remove the rear door/s and you have a very clear and wide panning angle beneath wing to tail.
A heavy movie camera can be hung from the top rear seat rail bracket.
If removing only the middle door, place duct tape around the rear baggage door catch so a coat sleeve could not inadvertantly hook on it.
Wear a snowsuit in winter, it is no colder than snowmobiling.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Have done several video's and photo shoots with rear doors / seat removed, makes an excellent photo platform... Set the photographer on pillow / cushion on floor, strap him in good and go!!!
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

I agree with A64.. swingout on the pass door would interfere with the operation of the flaps..

I have done some photography with the rear doors removed.. there is suprisingly little wind without the doors.