M4 prop

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
MikeW
100+ Posts

M4 prop

Post by MikeW »

Just out of curiosity does anyone know if it is legal to install a longer prop on an M-4. I think the standard is 76". I have heard of 80" props on M-5's but I can't find any info on this. This is with the Cont IO360 motor.

Mike

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

Hi Mike. I dont know off the top of my head, however, I would be glad to look it up when I get to work tomorrow. This will be what is on Maule's prints of course.. I'm not sure if someone has an stc for this.

MikeW
100+ Posts

Post by MikeW »

That would be great, thanks

Mike

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

Hi Mike, I looked at our prints, and the only props approved are 74 and 76 inch.

D2A34C67-0/S76C-2
1A170-DM 7460
1C172-MDM 7647 TO 7656 on ser #24 and #46 and later

Thats not to say there isnt a stc out there.. this is just what in on our prints

blue skies

MikeW
100+ Posts

Post by MikeW »

Ok, thanks for checking.

Mike

belandd
100+ Posts

PROP

Post by belandd »

I got a field approval to install a 80" on my M5-210 about 12 years ago.

I don't know if I would try it now, I think the FAA would make you do a STC instead of a field approval.

If I can help by sending you a copy of my paper work let me know.
Silly Billy Charters and Tours
Valdez, AK.

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

There's a fellow that has an STC for an 80" prop on the Cessna 172XP in the midwest somewhere. I'll do a little diggin to see what I can find out. Chet Harris told me about him and so did another fellow.
Of the engine/airframe combo's Maule came up with, the M-4/5/210 has the fewest options for prop. The blade stock from McCauley is no longer in production so that makes what we have essentially made out of unobtainium. There have been a few 337's for others but very few and I don't think we'll be getting much of a reprieve from Big Bother anytime soon. McCauley understands the situation, wants to sell props and will help with whatever data they have,especially harmonic testing.
Ill see what I can gleen from my notes and get them posted.

MikeW
100+ Posts

Post by MikeW »

Thanks Kurt,

Also, changing the subject, I'm probably one of the last to install VG's, but I finally did and flew it about 10 hours over the last couple weeks. It's been a lot of fun and I think a great addition for the short wing Maules. Now that I've flown with them I don't think I would ever go back. I won't give boring details but I was a satisfied customer.

ps. Kurt, are you and your new motor up and flying yet?

Mike

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

just for your info... David Wright has an stc for a 76 inch prop (I think. may be 74).. one that is currently in production if im not mistaken

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Not yet, It's still at Mad Mike's. We should have all of the accessories transfered over in the next day or two and are awaiting the prop govenor to be sent back this week. I found that it was listed on a 1972 W&B and it was time to have it checked out. We found that due to it's vintage & that it was new, it was exempt from the vast majority of the AD's that plague this engine.
This whole process from the research, tracking this engine for the last 2 years to actually getting it and opening the case, has been an amazing trek. I'm looking forward to having a FACTORY NEW engine and just in time for the Silvers too!
Duane, Welcome to the Forum! It's great to have a Factory Representitive here for sounding questions and ideas.
A few years back I had called to talk to Bruce Harlow on a Friday afternoon. A lady answered the phone with a distinct drawl and asked if she could help me. Explaining that everyone was at a birthday party, she remembered my plane that it was the last one to leave the Michigan plant, she asked if it was still "that real pretty yella color"? It was June Maule, the CEO answering the phone! We had a nice talk. Try that with Cessna! I really appreciate a small, family owned company that are so good and enjoy what they do. Thank you!

taildragger
100+ Posts

I can't remember his name.

Post by taildragger »

I met the guy a couple years ago that has the business of putting Continental IO 360's on 172 XP's. I can't remember his name but he did tell me he figures these motors are 2000 hour motors and then went on to tell me that he puts the 80 inch prop on them and said the difference is remarkable and suggested that I should put one on my Maule and said I wouldn't regret it. So maybe there is some paperwork out there somewhere. Good luck.

Scott

belandd
100+ Posts

80" Prop

Post by belandd »

I find it made a big difference. really notice the acceleration on take off
Silly Billy Charters and Tours
Valdez, AK.

aero101
100+ Posts

Prop for IO-360 Conti

Post by aero101 »

Would suggest contact Tom Anderson at XP Mods located at the Arlington Airport in NW Washington at 360-653-9294. I have a customer with a TSIO 360 conversion on a C170B which has an 84" C180 Prop installed per 1 time STC which Tom did. The early 'A' model engines didn't have the neccesary Crankshaft Dampeners, so this engine required crankshaft upgrade, but depending upon engine model, it can be done and makes a big difference. I have tried to find a prop for other Maules with IO360 and there's not anything approved on Prop TCDS's longer then 76" for that engine that I could find, which makes field approvals near impossible, so pretty much requires STC to satisfy vibration / data requirements and is costly to do... Tom specializes in C170 conversions to the Conti 360 and sure he could be helpful as he has lots of data..
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Re: Prop for IO-360 Conti

Post by Hottshot »

aero101 wrote:Would suggest contact Tom Anderson at XP Mods located at the Arlington Airport in NW Washington at 360-653-9294. I have a customer with a TSIO 360 conversion on a C170B which has an 84" C180 Prop installed per 1 time STC which Tom did. The early 'A' model engines didn't have the neccesary Crankshaft Dampeners, so this engine required crankshaft upgrade, but depending upon engine model, it can be done and makes a big difference. I have tried to find a prop for other Maules with IO360 and there's not anything approved on Prop TCDS's longer then 76" for that engine that I could find, which makes field approvals near impossible, so pretty much requires STC to satisfy vibration / data requirements and is costly to do... Tom specializes in C170 conversions to the Conti 360 and sure he could be helpful as he has lots of data..

Tom @ XP is no longer in buisiness... FYI.. :( We did a fair amout of work with him and were sad to hear that XP is no longer.

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Well that's news to me!!! I noticed his website no longer exists, but says it's being redone!! Do you know if it was health issues or what? He would probably still have data and ownership of the STC's if he's healthy? Anyway, guess we'll have to scratch another good resource....
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.