C201 pitch stops

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
vaughans

Post by vaughans »

Mog, great to hear your prop is back, What did they set the low & high pitch stops to? How did they achieve the modification? Where did you find the correct data to supply your prop shop with? How does your FAA 8130 form read?

vaughans

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

So the prop was signed off today. Haven’t flown it yet though. If I hadn’t had the 337’s that a few generous people offered up, it would have been a lot harder. I am at 9.5 low and 22 high. I will try to do a run up in the next day or two to verify gov is properly set and of course get her in the air.

Again, thank you to those that emailed me 337’s to make this as painless as possible.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Run up complete, no gov change required. I was already a bit high on my gov to begin with.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Put 1.7 hrs on it today. Cruise is not greatly affected if any, but climb performance is considerable. I was certainly getting off the ground sooner, but it was hard to really quantify that. I think with extended gear I would see more in that regard.

Regardless, just the feeling of pointing the nose vertical and climbing still at 60mph was impressive. She climbed well before, but not like this. I really think the 9.5 pitch make the difference and going 11.5 would have been disappointing. But I don’t have anything but speculation to go on in those regards.

She is most certainly louder outside, and the prop feels like a parking break when you drop back to idle in the air.

All in all, if you have a chance to upgrade and you aren’t trying to break any speed records then I think it’s a good choice.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Anyone curious about how the C201 sounds, this is the video for you. https://www.instagram.com/p/B32qPxHhEkX ... 1pmupilmge

gdflys
100+ Posts

Post by gdflys »

It's got some bark to go with its bite.
Greg Delp
1979 M-5-235C
CT
ATP, CFI, A&P/IA

1:1 Scale
100+ Posts

Post by 1:1 Scale »

Still seems quieter than a 185.... :)

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

1:1 Scale wrote:Still seems quieter than a 185.... :)
So is a jackhammer.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

It's pretty loud but I think the 185 has it beat. The ones at work have the Continental IO-520-D engine and a 3-blade Black Mac prop. Most of the time I'm inside the 185 and it isn't bad with the ANR headset but I pity the people outside when it's at full RPM. The only prop airplane that I've heard sound louder is a T-6 Texan.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

Any 180 with an 88" and for dang sure a later one with the "U" and 90" prop.
TJ Van Matre

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Some might find this controversial, but every air service that I have worked for in Alaska does takeoffs in aircraft equipped with large Continentals (with the very high redline) at reduced RPM (2300-2400 is common) unless full power is needed. We will use everything it’s got to get off a glacier with sticky snow, or out of a tight bush strip, but when you’re operating a 185 on a 3000 ft. paved runway, no need to blow out everyone’s eardrums just to get off the ground in a few hundred feet. It’s part of being a good neighbor.

I know we were all taught in initial training to always use full power for takeoffs, but most of us were training in underpowered aircraft with much lower redlines. Also, initial training is probably not the place to add the complication of judging how much power you need, so you just get told to use it all. In the private world, there really isn’t a comprehensive program to transition pilots from the simpler absolutes of initial training to the subtleties of operating larger, more complex, and more powerful airplanes. Yes, getting off the ground sooner and climbing for all your worth will get you into the “if it quits I can glide to a safe landingâ€￾ zone sooner. On the other hand, most of us would not hesitate to fly a different airplane with lower power out of the same airports, or the same plane more heavily loaded, so the result is similar. Also, I could be wrong, but I believe that airlines are almost always taking off at reduced power in the big iron.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Had there been houses or anything of consequence around I would have taken off at reduced power. But in this case I didn’t mind showing off the Franklin muscle. That said I was not aware it was this loud.

1:1 Scale
100+ Posts

Post by 1:1 Scale »

Based on the video, it honestly didn't seem that loud as it passed the camera, but there was definitely lots of echo. I don't think the echo would've been much different with a shorter prop, but I could be wrong. It was more about how long you could hear the echo, than the overall volume, but again, that's just from the video. Maybe I just need to turn up my speakers :D

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Turn up your speakers I think. Several people commented on how loud it was. Honestly I could do without the extra noise, but it is a sweet sound for sure.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Mog wrote:Had there been houses or anything of consequence around I would have taken off at reduced power. But in this case I didn’t mind showing off the Franklin muscle. That said I was not aware it was this loud.
Sorry Mog; I didn’t intend my post as a criticism of you or your technique, though in hindsight I’m sure it came off that way. I only meant to take the opportunity of this discussion to present the idea, in general, of doing quieter take-offs when we can. Just seemed to dovetail well with the existing conversation.
Again, apologies.