C201 pitch stops

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
Mog
100+ Posts

C201 pitch stops

Post by Mog »

Ok, so I have a C201 being rebuilt as we speak. However I need to give the shop the pitch stops. Does anyone have accurate information on this so I can try to get this right the first go around.

vaughans

Franklin with 82" Mac 201

Post by vaughans »

Had an 82" Mac 201 done by Northwest Propeller Service to go on my M4220C Maule. Set low pitch to 9.5 degrees from 13, .310 spacer was changed out to .175 to acheive the change. They have done quite a few these for installation on the 220 Franklin. Hope this helps as this question seems to come up from time to time.

vaughans

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

What about high stop? Or maybe your saying 9.5 low and 13 high?

vaughans

Post by vaughans »

Mog,
As stated prior what they did to acheive proper setup for the Franklin, log book entry reads, Removed, cleaned and installed propellor cylinder, set low pitch to 9.5 degrees, per McCauley manual MPC200. Your prop shop should be able to fix you up with info provided.

vaughans

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

I appreciate the info without question, but the shop is asking me for the pitches both high and low. I will see if MPC200 means anything to them, but my search shows that’s just a generic manual for the 200 series prop.

I have found other pitch info from the Stinson crowd.

Low 11.5 High 22
And
Low 13 High 24.5
Then of course your recommendation of
Low 9.5 High unknown?

The prop shop is in Cali and I’m here in Texas. Testing and changing is not overly viable. If I get it wrong the first time then I will have to pay another shop here to change the stop shims.

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

. :shock:
Last edited by MauleWacko on Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vaughans

Post by vaughans »

Mog,
Not my recommendation, Was what the prop shop that knew what they were doing stated & supplied on the FAA 8130 form. If your shop doesn't know what to do I think I would be leary of using them & find a shop that knows what to do, customer should not have to tell them how to do their work. I watched the work when they did it, took it home & installed with my mechanic & everything works great as it should. Don't know how else I can help.

vaughans

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

I know this has been asked before, but the actual info appears to be transferred through email or PM. I’m looking for 2 or more 337’s that I can use along with mine for the C201 field approval. Any help is appreciated.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

My prop ships in a few days, I have a bunch of 337 info on Stinsons, but it would be nice to have a couple M4 337’s. Can anyone please help so I can make this a painless approval.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Please help to understand: What is this thing you call “painless approvalâ€￾?

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Yeah yeah, just less painless. :wink:

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

:shock:
Last edited by MauleWacko on Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

MauleWacko wrote:.
Now with the extended gear out I would run a 86 inch C201 if it were me.
Now ask me how you do a flat tire load test with the gear spread to max limit? :shock:
Hmmm...grease plates under the flat tires, and ratcheting cargo straps between the bottom of the gear leg and the strut attach point at the wing? That might cause me to worry about collapsing the strut. How about straps to the wing attach fitting at the root? Funky geometry for the pull though...
Porta-power between the bottoms of the gear legs??
One could remove the springs and install shims that simulate the spring compressed length, but that’s a lot of work.

Do tell; how did you do it?

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

:shock:

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Prop came in today. Its beautiful. You can clearly see the extra surface area of the blades.

Now if I can just get it approved. Still striking out on 337 examples for the M4. The DFW FISDO is notoriously harder than many others and every little bit helps. I have all the docs from Mccauley showing the different variants STC’d for the Franklin, but nothing that nails down the M4.