Rudder pedals

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
Dazza

Rudder pedals

Post by Dazza »

I fly an MX7 180
I have very small feet and find I have to lift my feet well off the floor to reach the brakes. Missed it once and scraped a wing tip in cross wind. Anyone else find this a problem and is there a fix? Most of the AC I fly I can reach the brakes and use my toes with feet on the floor

plowboy

Post by plowboy »

I have regular sized feet, 10 US, 41 for you, and I have to pick my feet up when I land and take off to get on the brakes correctly. It is a good reminder to pay attention at that time.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I have size 10's but find I am more comfortable having my heels off the floor to work the brakes/rudder when maneuvering/landing. Just seems to work better. Still better than heel brakes!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

crbnunit wrote:I have size 10's but find I am more comfortable having my heels off the floor to work the brakes/rudder when maneuvering/landing. Just seems to work better. Still better than heel brakes!
This... there's a time for rudder but for me once the mains are on it's all brakes.
TJ Van Matre

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

I’m opposite, I’m size 13 and all over the brakes and rudder at all times. Makes life harder when trying to work the rudder without brakes.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

My feet are size 10 and I don't have any trouble using the brakes. I try to keep my heels on the floor when applying the brakes and using the rudder pedals to steer on the ground. That way I won't inadvertently apply too much brake to one side while steering, which can cause a ground loop. Obviously, the higher your feet are on the rudder pedals, the more force you can apply to the brakes. Applying a lot of force to the brakes is seldom necessary though and you risk a nose-over if you do it in a tail wheel airplane. I think your best bet is to practice sliding your feet up enough to lift your heels off the floor but not up to the top of the rudder pedals so you can steer and brake without fear of ground looping or nosing over.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I haven't found the threat of nose over to be too much of a problem. Of course, I work the pedals differently on pavement... Off airport, unless you are just being silly, the airplane gives you plenty of time to get off the brakes as the tail comes up. I find my shortest stops are on the brakes with a little power and the tail in the air using the elevator to help control the attitude. It is different every landing though. Depends on surface conditions, wind and how well I'm flying that day.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

benflyn
100+ Posts

Post by benflyn »

crbnunit wrote: and how well I'm flying that day.
If you are like me, that is a moovving target!!!!
As I hurtled through space, one thought kept crossing my mind - every part of this rocket was supplied by the lowest bidder .
John Glenn

CaseyM
100+ Posts

Post by CaseyM »

When teaching a tailwheel endorsement, the last thing we say before takeoff, before pushing up the power on the runway is "heels on the floor, toes off the brakes" and included in the landing checklist is "feet off the brakes"

I have to lift my heels off the floor to reach the brake pedals and I prefer it that way. Everyone is different, but I believe that, feet close to the brakes all the time is inviting the potential for unintentional course change on the ground.
N1042Z
97' MX7-180C

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

That’s a great plan for initial instruction, but once your off pavement or doing really short work you need to be on both. I generally land with 1/4 to half brakes on at touchdown (Not on Pavement). On take off you may need brakes in the first few feet to keep the plane pointed straight if on really rough terrain.