Replacing Vernier controls with friction

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
Plarson622

Replacing Vernier controls with friction

Post by Plarson622 »

I recall reading a post from the past where someone had their vernier controls replaced with friction controls. Is anyone aware as to whether there is a standard certified kit for this, or is it doable with an existing STC?
Thank you for your response.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Pretty sure everyone goes the other way around. I have held out but will update soon enough.

gdflys
100+ Posts

Post by gdflys »

I believe the Maule drawings show either way as options.
Greg Delp
1979 M-5-235C
CT
ATP, CFI, A&P/IA

Ron Hallmark

Post by Ron Hallmark »

Hello gdflys, I have only been flying/owning a Maule for a little over a year, so I am still trying to learn stuff. I have a 1979 M-5-235C. So, I was wondering first, where can I acquire the "Maule Drawings" that you and others have referred to? Not that I want to change out the vernier, 'cause I think I have finally gotten use to it, and I don't need any more hassles than are absolutely necessary. Have you installed the NAS bolt kit? After reading all of the previous posts about failures, I am really wanting to get that done. So, I am hoping to get some direction on removing the seats, floor boards, etc. Thanks for any advice or help with anything....I need it.
Ron

Stinger
100+ Posts

Re: Replacing Vernier controls with friction

Post by Stinger »

Plarson622 wrote:I recall reading a post from the past where someone had their vernier controls replaced with friction controls. Is anyone aware as to whether there is a standard certified kit for this, or is it doable with an existing STC?
Thank you for your response.
My vernier throttle was replaced with an ACS friction-lock throttle a couple years ago. Part number I've got for the ACS is A-810BL040.
Looks exactly like this one from Spruce: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... key=187432

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Call Maule and get the parts CD for your model. All the drawings are on there. And yes it shows both types so only a logbook entry is required.

gdflys
100+ Posts

Post by gdflys »

Yes do the NAS bolts as well. You will have to hoist the plane via the motor mount or one of the wing lift methods discussed often here.
Greg Delp
1979 M-5-235C
CT
ATP, CFI, A&P/IA

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Mog wrote:Pretty sure everyone goes the other way around. I have held out but will update soon enough.
I might have my old vernier around if you’re interested in buying it. I removed it to put in a friction lock. REALLY didn’t like the vernier for backcountry ops.

Victor Gennaro
100+ Posts

Post by Victor Gennaro »

When I first bought my Maule M7 235C it had the stock vernier throttle. I did not like it at all. I had it replaced with a friction throttle by my mechanic at the first annual and liked it much better, especially on shot grass strips. It just seemed to be less fussy. I have since sold the Maule and now fly a Bonanza with a vernier throttle and it works well. Obviously these are two very different aircraft and used in different ways, on the Bonanza the power adjustments are a lot less dramatic. When you need to pour on the coals the friction throttle is easier.

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

I believe the original poster is speaking of vernier throttle (but did't specifically say that).

I have flown Maules with vernier and friction throttles; I don't like the vernier for a throttle. Much prefer a friction for the throttle but vernier is necessary for prop and mixture. A vernier mixture control is hard to get into the tight panel location without interfering with flight controls.
M5

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I have not found the vernier throttle to be a hindrance in the back country. Just what you get used to I suppose.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

crbnunit wrote:I have not found the vernier throttle to be a hindrance in the back country. Just what you get used to I suppose.
I didn't like mine at first, but it grew on me. Probably going to change the friction style in the 180 to a vernier at annual.
TJ Van Matre

Plarson622

Post by Plarson622 »

Thank you to all that replied to my post re verniers vs friction.
My intent is to replace the verniers and install the friction locks, as I believe the friction controls Would feel more natural in the back country.
Thanks again!

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I have the vernier controls and I've used them extensively in back country flying without a problem. Pressing the button on the throttle for back country operations is second nature to me now. I like having the vernier during cruise since it's much easier to fine tune.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

A long time back, Jeremy described the best grip for the vernier throttle. Cup the vernier knob in the palm of your hand with palm mostly up, squeeze the vernier slightly and the bottom third of your palm presses the vernier knob.

Doesn’t take long to get used to, before long you don’t even think of the vernier action unless you are turning it for fine adjustments. I don’t even think twice about it being a vernier anymore. Big improvement over my first attempts pushing the button with my thumb.

Kirk