Carbon Fiber Floor. anyone interested?

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Yeah, I have his cell number in my phone. Was trying to get a Carbon panel from him awhile back and we had a breakdown in communication I guess. Wasn’t a production item for him at the time so that probably plays into it.

kneel

Post by kneel »

Hottshot wrote:
MauleEnvy wrote:
Mog wrote:Wup, how and where would one get these carbon floors you are talking about?
http://www.carbonconceptsak.com

He also has a CF glareshield replacement for Maules.
Yes, that is correct. You can order directly from me or tell Him I sent you.
Does he have CF M6 droop tips?

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

kneel wrote:
Hottshot wrote:
MauleEnvy wrote:
Mog wrote:Wup, how and where would one get these carbon floors you are talking about?
http://www.carbonconceptsak.com

He also has a CF glareshield replacement for Maules.
Yes, that is correct. You can order directly from me or tell Him I sent you.
Does he have CF M6 droop tips?
I believe yes.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Carbon concepts is where Kurt got all of his CF products including the wing tips. Quality work. Definitely a thread hijack...
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Yes, Randy has molds for the glare shield, droop, square tips and panels. The floor boards are sold as a large panel and you use your floor boards as templates. (All Maules have a certain "variance" amoung them...
The weight savings were substantial. Floors were roughly ~22-26#, glare shield was 8#, wing tips were an amazing 12#. He does good work and the only complaint is that he is swamped. He is currently working on the belly pods and the STC for them. The donor AC was delivered to him last month and he is only now getting a chance to start in on them. His pricing is reasonable as well.
He has also been building some CF cowlings. So far, he has completed the M5 220 cowl and M4/M5 210 cowl. He has others to begin making the molds for the M7-235 but time is the biggest issue. The 220 cowl saves 19-20# from what I understand.
Live it like its your last day.

freedom
100+ Posts

Post by freedom »

Ho do you electrically isolate the carbon fiber to the fuselage tubing?

Carbon and steel have the opposite electrical polarity, which means over time and a bit of humidity, galvanic corrosion will eat the steel tubing.

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

That part was easy. First, fuselage is powder coated. Second, I placedvself adhesive foam insulation on all the fuselage tubes and taped them into place. When the floorboards are installed, the nuts holding them are tightened so that they are under compression against the foam. No contact, no rattle
Live it like its your last day.

FARMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by FARMAULE »

I just spoke with Randy the other day. He seems very knowledgeable and was helpful. I’m currently waiting on some Flooring I bought from him. Looking forward to the project and am anxious to see the weight savings. Also switching to a sky-tec starter. Hopefully shaving at least 20lbs off. I was gonna go ahead and order the cowlings but the CF comes in just under 15lbs and mine with paint and hardware weighs 23lbs. Just gonna repair mine for now and spend the cash on more gas. I’m just glad there are people out there still supporting the older Maules.

1:1 Scale
100+ Posts

Post by 1:1 Scale »

YELLOWMAULE wrote:The 220 cowl saves 19-20# from what I understand.
I think the weight you're quoting was from the 235 cowl. The 220 came in at 6.5 lbs. lighter. Interestingly, most of the weight savings came from the top cowl, so I suspect there's some more weight that could come out of the bottom half.

StuporRocket
100+ Posts

Post by StuporRocket »

In the next few months we'll be interested in carbon fiber parts for our M-5/6-235. From what I understand about the CG of the 235 on the smaller fuse, we may be more interested in carbon fiber parts forward of the datum and stick with plywood, etc. to the rear. I am willing to listen to anyone wanting to change my mind, though.
Scott@Oglesby.org

"Don't follow me. You won't make it."
PA-12-150
M-7-235

Hale-Yes
100+ Posts

Post by Hale-Yes »

StuporRocket, I would not give up on lighter components to the rear, lighter is better, but you are right, a lightweight starter, alternator, CF prop., CF spinner, CF cowling will all help with the weight of the big six.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

I desperately want this M4 220 cowling . But the owner lost the molds. I might be able to arrange to get new molds made if we had a few takers.

Last edited by Mog on Sun May 19, 2019 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

StuporRocket
100+ Posts

Post by StuporRocket »

The lightweight prop is the only part I'm not sure about. MT Prop performance (on acro airplanes) is outstanding but we plan to go on floats and I haven't looked into compatibility yet.
Scott@Oglesby.org

PA-12-150
M-7-235

StuporRocket
100+ Posts

Post by StuporRocket »

Mog,
Is that installed on a field approval, and would it even work for a -235?
Scott@Oglesby.org

PA-12-150
M-7-235

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

235 would require a different cowl I would assume.