Bent flap handle

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
gdflys
100+ Posts

Bent flap handle

Post by gdflys »

Can someone post a picture of what their factory bent flap handle looks like against the floor in the zero flap position? Preferably in an M5.

I bought a used bent flap handle that lays flat against the floor just like the straight handle I had. The pivot point and where it's welded are slightly different so I ordered a bent handle from Maule and the mechanic that is recovering the plane says it looks exactly like the handle that's flat on the floor.

I'm wondering if it's different for the M5 with no negative flaps like the M7. The internals are for flaps 20/40. I have non inertial shoulder harnesses and the handle is unreachable with them tight.

Thanks in advance.
Greg Delp
1979 M-5-235C
CT
ATP, CFI, A&P/IA

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

If you mean actually flat on floor its not a bent handle.
The bent handle curves the button end about 3.5" above parallel.
There should be a stop bolt in the ratchet to prevent the handle going too low.
If its a modified handle it should be reinforced where the push wire comes out of handle at bottom. To get the flaps working properly and sufficiently to achieve full flap, remove the gust lock mechanism and replace with M4 type stop cable, fit new flap up springs, re-bush the bell cranks and make sure bell crank stop bumper is in place, make sure bell crank bracket is secure to rear spar, not bent, and holes not ovalled or elongated.
Only with all this atended to will you be able to get full 40deg when there is air pressure against full span of flap
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

gdflys
100+ Posts

Post by gdflys »

Thanks Jeremy. I've completed all of that on the flaps end of the cables.

I'll have to check on the stop bolt in the ratchet portion. Maybe that is missing and why the previous bent handle was against the floor but it looked like everything there was exactly like the straight handle I replaced with it.

I'll get pics of the first bent one I bought from someone here and the bent one directly from Maule.
Greg Delp
1979 M-5-235C
CT
ATP, CFI, A&P/IA

gdflys
100+ Posts

Post by gdflys »

I think we found the issue. When the used bent flap handle was installed the up stop and bolt wasn’t moved to the new handle. Thanks Jeremy.
Greg Delp
1979 M-5-235C
CT
ATP, CFI, A&P/IA