excessive play between control yokes

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
flyfish1

excessive play between control yokes

Post by flyfish1 »

I have an M4-220C with excessive play between the two control yokes when manipulating the ailerons. I have isolated the universal joints on each yoke and that does not seem to be the problem. My question is then would it be the sprocket shafts or the outboard sprocket assemblies causing the slop in the controls. Does anyone have any experience with this and if so how difficult are these items to replace. I have the Maule drawing 3012F and it seems fairly straight forward. Appreciate any insight to fix this issue. Thanks.
flyfish1

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

Flyfish1, There are a number of areas to look and any one of them could possibly be the cause. I'd start with where the chrome shaft attaches to the universal. Look for any elongation of any holes. Also the sprockets (items -31 and -32 on 3012F) were not welded back in the day. We now weld them and bolt them. If that is where the slop is, you can have that welded. Both ends of the universal can be reamed for a tapered pin. (See note 12)

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Its been a few years but as best I remember the dual sprockets are bolted together but one has a slightly elongated hole so that they can be skewed. One can snug the chain between the yokes with that. Will require some changes at the turnbuckles and wouldn't try it unless all other is snug as previously shown.

flyfish1

Post by flyfish1 »

Just so I got this right the sprocket shaft and the sprockets item 31 or 32 are now welded together and also bolted. That definitely is where the slop is coming from in my aircraft. I was thinking that I may need to order a new sprocket and sprocket shaft for each side, The universal joint has a little play in it which I think is normal. Thanks for the info.
flyfish1

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

Yep, that is correct. If you need to order a set, we have plenty in stock.