Deductive Reasoning - Wing Swap

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Deductive Reasoning - Wing Swap

Post by TxAgfisher »

Ok gurus,

If you can put the universal wing on an M5 and an M5 wing on the M4, in my mind you should be able to put the universal wing on the (old) M4.

Am I correct in this? I think it'd be awesome.
TJ Van Matre

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I see where you are going with this and I like the way you think!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

Hey Duane, what would it cost me to build a set of universals from parts vs. buying a set?

Assume labor is free.
TJ Van Matre

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

I seem to recal a set of bare wings was like $14k. Pretty cheap for what you get.

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

Shipping is probably outrageous, but $14 doesn't sound too bad if they are complete sans paint. Assuming different length strut? Included?
TJ Van Matre

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I have always thought about doing this. Wonder how the FAA would feel about it. Have to add the torque tube for the flaps or... In for a penny...

http://www.supercub.org/photopost/showf ... hoto=38172
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

Does Maule offer a wing extension kit for the M4 much like you can get for the short wing Pipers? If so, that may be a better answer than changing the entire wing.
M5

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

Doesn't solve the flap difference with just an extension.
TJ Van Matre

StuporRocket
100+ Posts

Post by StuporRocket »

If you are considering a new set of wings order a set like were built for the recently delivered "Alaska Maule". 126± Flaps and 52'± Ailerons, also known as the "Longest wing with the longest flaps". I just sold my 1990 M-7-235 with that wing and am hating myself right now. It beat anything similar that I've ever flown, including other M-4/5/6 models by a long sight.
Scott@Oglesby.org

"Don't follow me. You won't make it."
PA-12-150
M-7-235

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

I know several people with the long wing, I don't think it's what I want. With the little bitty aileron the roll rate is terrible. Universal wing is what I need.

Going to call Maule today and see if it's possible.
TJ Van Matre

StuporRocket
100+ Posts

Post by StuporRocket »

I understand. I made sure my kids never used more than two notches of flaps when they were flying it due to the reduced aileron effectiveness with full flaps. We did a couple of lessons on that at altitude.

I hadn't yet added VGs, but I understand they make a massive improvement in aileron authority when slow.
Scott@Oglesby.org

"Don't follow me. You won't make it."
PA-12-150
M-7-235

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

Just talked to Kit...

Here's the long and the short of it. Can't put a universal on a 4 or 5 - the conversion for the 5 is to put an M6 wing on it, which was pre universal wing. You can't put this wing on there either because the mod kit requires a change of the rudder as well and the 4 has the round tail.

Next, we talked about the wing on the M4-180V's and the new S2/S4. That wing is basically an M5 wing with longer flaps and shorter ailerons. This would be a viable option except that they have done no testing with other powerplants outside of the Lyc. O-360 nor do they have plans to.

That basically leaves you with a standard M5 wing as your only option unless you can get a 337 or go experimental.
TJ Van Matre

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Go experimental!!!

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

What are the parameters for 337? Can it be a simple field approval from an IA (assuming no substantial change in flight characteristics occur between O-360/IO-360) and cite the wing used on the 180V?

Or, does it have to go through the FSDO?
TJ Van Matre

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

TxAg, the M4 rudder is probably not enough to balance a longer wing in recovery from spin test parameters.
.The early M6 wing with droop tips had a rather small aileron, and when that wings mod kit was produced with larger aileron, it also required a larger rudder
The M4 flaps can be upgraded and adjusted to vastly improve short landings
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide