Deductive Reasoning - Wing Swap

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Landing even at HDA should not be even remotely and issue, takeoff distance is the big issue. That could potentially be solved with HP, a different prop or both.

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

So what you’re saying is... deal with it!
TJ Van Matre

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

maules.com wrote:TxAg, the M4 rudder is probably not enough to balance a longer wing in recovery from spin test parameters.
.The early M6 wing with droop tips had a rather small aileron, and when that wings mod kit was produced with larger aileron, it also required a larger rudder
The M4 flaps can be upgraded and adjusted to vastly improve short landings
I'm interested in the "upgraded and adjusted". Maybe a tangent on this thread but it sounds like what us M-4 drivers are really after anyway.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

I’d say deal with it!! At least for a bit longer. You have a sweet plane and it deserves a fair shot. If you still can’t handle it in another year or two then jump on the Cub.

Crbnunit, have you installed the super secret flap ratchet yet? Transforms the M4 dramatically. Then just make sure all bushings etc are tight and flaps are zeroed out. She will climb or sink as fast as you should need all while staying in full control.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

You’re on it Mog regarding Crbunit
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

1:1 Scale
100+ Posts

Post by 1:1 Scale »

Mog wrote:Crbnunit, have you installed the super secret flap ratchet yet? Transforms the M4 dramatically. Then just make sure all bushings etc are tight and flaps are zeroed out. She will climb or sink as fast as you should need all while staying in full control.
When I bought my M4, it was advertised as having an "Alaskan Bush extended flap arm", or something to that effect. I always imagined it was a different bellcrank in the wings, but maybe it's just the "secret" ratchet? It does have 3 downward settings...

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Ah... Well, I might or might not have heard of that mod but will plea the 5th if anyone asks.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

It is as much about the bellcrank bushing, the pivot bolt, the stop, and the rigging of cables and the flap handle and pivot points. All need attention along with the tatchet
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

chazdevil
100+ Posts

Post by chazdevil »

I have officially never heard of such a thing.
Final answer.
79 M5 235Turbo

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

I share my blissful ignorance of the matter 8)
M5