Boot Cowl Window

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
Andy Young
100+ Posts

Boot Cowl Window

Post by Andy Young »

I’m looking at installing the boot cowl window on my M-6. I have the drawing, but a few things on it are not clear to me. Wondering if someone who has this window might be able to send me some photos of their installation, both inside and outside, to help me understand.

Thanks!
Andy

CaseyM
100+ Posts

Re: Boot Cowl Window

Post by CaseyM »

Andy Young wrote:I’m looking at installing the boot cowl window on my M-6. I have the drawing, but a few things on it are not clear to me. Wondering if someone who has this window might be able to send me some photos of their installation, both inside and outside, to help me understand.

Thanks!
Andy
Gbarrier has a great looking boot cowl window install. Maybe he can provide some insight.
N1042Z
97' MX7-180C

pilot
100+ Posts

Re: Boot Cowl Window

Post by pilot »

CaseyM wrote:
Gbarrier has a great looking boot cowl window install. Maybe he can provide some insight.
He is a great guy, I'm sure he can! I would not advise calling him right after a telemarketer calls him - at least if you do, turn off the speakerphone :shock: :shock: :lol:
I can't remember if I fired six shots, or only five.....

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Ah, thanks guys.

Andy, mine was installed way back on a 337. Turns out it's the only 337 for the airplane that I can't lay my hands on. Looks like the factory one except the radius in the corners is larger. I'll look later today but as best I remember just a hole cut out like the observer doors and the plexiglass stuck up there with the backing strips around the sides. Mine has screws not rivets so easy to change the crazed plexiglass which I need to do soon.

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Ah, thanks guys.

Andy, mine was installed way back on a 337. Turns out it's the only 337 for the airplane that I can't lay my hands on. Looks like the factory one except the radius in the corners is larger. I'll look later today but as best I remember just a hole cut out like the observer doors and the plexiglass stuck up there with the backing strips around the sides. Mine has screws not rivets so easy to change the crazed plexiglass which I need to do soon.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Generally, cut the bottom line to match the door bottom line and vertical lines vertical.
.125 plexiglass. Angle aluminium stiffeners all around on inside of plexiglass and stainless screws and nuts every 2 or 2.5".
Its very simple as I designed it originally for AK fish n wildlife contract.
The interior finish is the harder part and Maules new type side panels make it easier than the old style curved along floor style.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Jeremy, I probably have the one you did.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Thanks guys,

So do the securing bolts go through (oversized) holes in the plexi, or does the plexi “floatâ€￾ inboard of and under aluminum stiffeners, sort of the like the factory-type lower door windows?

Are there reinforcement strips on the outside of the boot cowl skin, or just the inside?

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Only strips are on the inside. There is a light curve in bootcowl which can be accommodated by curving the vertical strips. You can buy 1/2â€￾ angle aluminium extrusion at hardware.
Bolts go through oversized holes in plexiglass
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Thanks Jeremy,

Good idea on sourcing the angled stiffeners. Are we talking “Sâ€￾ shaped extrusions, so they lay flat on the skin, and overlap the plexi? Or just “Lâ€￾ extrusions, laid on top the plexi?

Just curious; why are stiffeners necessary? Is it a concern about cracking the plexi due to movement of the boot cowl skin otherwise?

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Finally wandered up to the hangar and looked at my window. Just haven't flown in a couple of days.

Don't think the reinforcement on the inside matters much. Mine has none, just 16 #8 screws with an washers and elastic stop nuts on the inside right there against the plexi. Mine also has larger radius corners. Looks like about 1 to 1.25" radius (2 to 2.5" hole saw). Spacing between screws are 3 to 4". There is one on the outside of each corner and three equally spaced on each side between the corners.

There are angles screwed to the kick panel for a little finished look.

The plexi was a little crazed when we bought the airplane over four years ago. It's a little more crazed now and will need replacing eventually but no cracking.

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Finally wandered up to the hangar and looked at my window. Just haven't flown in a couple of days.

Don't think the reinforcement on the inside matters much. Mine has none, just 16 #8 screws with an washers and elastic stop nuts on the inside right there against the plexi. Mine also has larger radius corners. Looks like about 1 to 1.25" radius (2 to 2.5" hole saw). Spacing between screws are 3 to 4". There is one on the outside of each corner and three equally spaced on each side between the corners.

There are angles screwed to the kick panel for a little finished look.

The plexi was a little crazed when we bought the airplane over four years ago. It's a little more crazed now and will need replacing eventually but no cracking.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Jeremy,

Seeing that drawing you posted up earlier really helped, as it had dimensions, which the version I have (from the parts CD) does not. I see you’ve removed it, so I assume you had good reason to. I’ll contact factory and ask if I can get the one with dimensions from them.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Andy, the extrusion used is L shaped 1/2 x 1/2" angle and it acts as a stiffener and to form a mild curve contour and to attach the inner trim pieces of kick panel.

Must be other Jeremy who posted a picture as I have never figured that out.
Its odd but I find it hard to understand the picture posting instructions offered as many of the computerworld words are a foreign language to me.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

wtxdragger
100+ Posts

Post by wtxdragger »

Mercifully Free from the Ravages of Intelligence
1989 M7-235 N90KD
1975 T210L N1675X
2022 CCK-1865 N922UM

https://www.instagram.com/wtxdragger/