Drooped Tips

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
Tater023

Drooped Tips

Post by Tater023 »

I’ve read the dropped tips ultimately mean less sq ft for the wing. What is the advantage of the drooped tips? If there is no real advantage, can they be removed, or is it not worth it? Thanks for your input.

Bill

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Are we talking M4 M5 M6 early model ?
They do Not slow you down.
They can be removed for maintenance, not for flight unless converting early M6 wing to late M6 wing.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Tater023

Post by Tater023 »

Older M4s and M5s I see on Barnstormers and TP. They all have the drooped tips. Was wondering if there was some sort of advantage with them.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Forgot to measure, but I had my M4 next to another older M4 with straight tips. Mine sure appeared to have more wing area at the end of the wing, but again we never measured. Mine has an extra skin on the outboard where his was solid to the tip. Of course his could have been re-skinned at some point with a single piece.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

There is more square foot lifting area on M4 wings with droop tips than the early M4 rounded tips.
Lift of course produces drag thus the speed increase on later torque tube flap wings where reducing lift with negative flap decreases lift on wing and tail surface.
The M5 with drooped tip is slightly faster than the early MX7 with same wingspanbut squared tip however the MX7 gets the speed back with its reflex flaps.
The longer the wing the more lift But the more drag thus the longer the wing the slower the cruise, however more hp and better prop thrust gets speed back at expense of fuel burn which means carrying more weight in fuel thus also increasing drag until this never ending spiral means you have to carry a fatter wallet thus more weight and.....
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Tater023

Post by Tater023 »

Thanks for the info. I had read on the cub forum that some of the super cubs with the drooped tips experience a sharp break at stall, with little warning. Anyone in the Maules experience that?

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

My M4 with droop tips never really breaks.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

The Maules have the right amount of dihedral and washout plus balance of aileron to rudder to make them rather benign in the various stall regimes. It is a forgiving airplane. It does not have the propensity to yaw stall as cubs and huskys can.
Now, if someone has rigged it badly or eliminated washout to steal more lift, that can be another story.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

My M5-235C on a power on stall basically just backs up if you pay attention to the rudder. Power off stall it will drop a wing but just a touch of forward pressure on yoke and she is flying again.

I used to fly Hershey bar winged Piper Warrior at times and the Maule is miles better behaving in stalls.

TD

Tater023

Post by Tater023 »

TomD wrote:My M5-235C on a power on stall basically just backs up if you pay attention to the rudder. Power off stall it will drop a wing but just a touch of forward pressure on yoke and she is flying again.

I used to fly Hershey bar winged Piper Warrior at times and the Maule is miles better behaving in stalls.

TD
Piper Warrior club plane is what I’m flying now until I can save enough for the right Maule. Thinking on a M4 or M5 220. Those are more in line with my price range and seem to have relatively decent STOL.

chazdevil
100+ Posts

Post by chazdevil »

The 220 M-4 will light up your life.
Great combo with the classic looks.
79 M5 235Turbo

riverbuggy
100+ Posts

Post by riverbuggy »

X2 what Chazdevil says.
Ray
1970 M4-220C N2056U

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Mine will break but it has to be deep into the stall. Otherwise it just mushes and dumps altitude. Recovery is a gentle push forward and add power. I have always found power on stalls kind of freaky in the M4. Even more so since installing a longer prop. The angle of attack is really high!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

chazdevil
100+ Posts

Post by chazdevil »

Funny!
The 86â€￾ and the 235 combo doesn’t stall power on either. Just scares CFI’s on BFR.
79 M5 235Turbo

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

With the vortex generators unles you really force it mine doesn’t stall either. But it is easy to get a high rate of sink in the resulting mush. Just reduce the angle of attack and it’s back flying but it can take a bit to recover from the sink . I have my Safe Flight AOA set to identify the onset of the mush/stall it adds a layer of confidence.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money