Prop upgrades and MT

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
95E

Prop upgrades and MT

Post by 95E »

Well, I bent my prop aborting a soft field takeoff. The airplane is now down for 6 weeks because I'm doing an engine overhaul and all of my upgrades at this point. The big question I have now is what to do for a propeller. Have any of you guys put an Mt on a 235 yet? I'm very curious how much of an improvement it is as a seaplane prop versus the stock 78 in Hartzell. Of course if anyone has a good deal on a long prop from Hartzell or MacAuley I'd be interested in that as well. Thanks
"If you don't get in a hurry, you won't get into Trouble" - great advice I should have listened too...

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

I think Ross has quite a bit of MT data, he’s DirtDobber on here.
TJ Van Matre

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

All the props for the 235hp are better than the old 78" Hartzell.
81" Hartzell
81" McCauley
78" Three blade Hartzell
86" McCauley (limited to 2400rpm and extended gear or larger tyres)
80" three blade McCauley

The MT 83" two or three blade are not reporting thrust differences but lighter weight advantages and thus faster rpm increase and decrease.

I gather Hartzell is working up a composite too.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

chazdevil
100+ Posts

Post by chazdevil »

I had the 78â€￾ Hartzell. I went with the 86â€￾ cause I couldn’t get the two blade MT at the time. I’ve always wondered how it would’ve done.
That being said, I friggin adore the 86.
Seriously.
I paid full choke due to availability at the time to boot.
Excellent reason to go with second favorite mod, tall gear.
79 M5 235Turbo

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

maules.com wrote:All the props for the 235hp are better than the old 78" Hartzell.
81" Hartzell
81" McCauley
78" Three blade Hartzell
86" McCauley (limited to 2400rpm and extended gear or larger tyres)
80" three blade McCauley

The MT 83" two or three blade are not reporting thrust differences but lighter weight advantages and thus faster rpm increase and decrease.

I gather Hartzell is working up a composite too.
I think the 80" MT is the deal, the 83" is for the O360 IIRC.
TJ Van Matre

montana maule
100+ Posts

Post by montana maule »

I have been using the 83" MT for a couple of years. My thoughts- https://www.montanabyair.com/maule-ownership-blog

Isaac

Post by Isaac »

I have the 83" MT 2 blade on my M7-235. It is lighter, quieter and smoother than the 86" Mac. It moved my CG back 1.6 inches which is awesome. There are no ADs on the prop and per the maintenance manual you can repair nicks with JB weld and spray paint. I really like the prop.

95E

Post by 95E »

Thanks a lot guys! I will also be on either floats (7 months) ir extended gear with 8.50s, so clearance shouldn't be an issue. I was really wondering how the various MTs would compare to an 81 or 86 metal Two blade in terms of takeoff (Jeremy?)

Also really curious now if anyone has a line on a good two blade, as i have been unable to find long blades for my current hub. Likely looking at a full new prop and open to options if anyone has em.
"If you don't get in a hurry, you won't get into Trouble" - great advice I should have listened too...

montana maule
100+ Posts

Post by montana maule »

I have a Hartzell 81" I took off because of the Part 135 limit of 72 mo since overhaul. If interested send me a PP.