The Belly Pod, Are we close?

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

The Belly Pod, Are we close?

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

I know for a fair period of time now there has not only been interest but several have said that to encourage Carbon Concepts, they would be willing to place a deposit to start the process.
Well, we have several additional interested parties arriving in town over the next week or so. Wup Win with Back Country Connection, Brent Maule and of course Isaac in the new BCC Alaska Maule! Thought this would a good time to revisit the project. I spoke with Randy Apling of CC and he has just finished the mold for the PA-12. Fairly close in dimension to the Maules. It's 85" long and weighs ~15#. There is an ample side door but the back of the pod also has a door for over sized items (Skis, lumber, tusks, etc) that will further its usefulness. It can also detach from the fuselage in a matter of minutes.
So, Randy needed a fuselage to fit it to. We secured a straight and covered M4 however, CC would not be able to really get a start on it until June as his May is booked.
Here's the best part, Randy thinks they'll come in about $2500
Randy is teaming up with an Engineer to start the STC process so we'll see how that proceeds. In any case, I just thought I'd throw the carrot out and see who's interested.
For some reason I'm unable to post a picture so you can check out Carbon Concepts FB page.
Live it like its your last day.

Maule988ms
100+ Posts

Post by Maule988ms »

Count me in

diebroke

Post by diebroke »

I’m in.
1987 M5-235C

ajak
100+ Posts

Post by ajak »

Also still interested...
AJ
1983 M-6-235
IO-540W1A5D, 81" Hartzell, 4" ext gear, 31" tires, Atlee exhaust, long wings, VGs, LED ldg/nav/strobes, EDM-900, CiES

BatMaule
100+ Posts

Post by BatMaule »

Thanks for resurrecting this Kurt. I'd once volunteered to spearhead but...well...life. I'm definitely still in and will give Randy CASH if/when he is ready to get going on this project. I still have the uncovered M4 fuselage that can be used for a mock-up too if needed. Without going back and recounting all the Yeas from the previous thread, I think there are at least 10 folks in the market for a pod.
1983 M6-235
The "BatMaule"

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

i am a definite maybe. very interested to see how it fits/ attaches.
i also have an M6 fuselage (with float fittings) that could be used for mock up.

i know i have a xpndr antenna and a marker beacon antenna that are on the belly and could potentially be in the way??? i also have 2 extra stringers on the belly (like a piper) to help support the fabric and keep it tighter. so my belly profile would be slightly different than most.

some style pods (airglass) have a top on them. some others (cessna factory pod) are wide open tops. both have advantages, but i know the open top style puts any oil/ exhaust that would normally be on your belly all over whatever is in the pod. it becomes a pretty dark messy place. but it is much lighter that the fully enclosed pod.

i know when i have ran certain belly pods on cessnas there were cooling issues that required extending the cowl flaps, and sometimes exhaust mods so that it doesn't blow directly on the fiberglass... also, the belly fuel sumps can become very awkward to access ... attachment would likely have to be piper style where you slit the fabric and install clamps around lower longerons? there are lots of variations of weld on/ bolt on water rudder pulley brackets, weld on/ bolt on float fittings, lower grab handles, metal bellies, antenna arrangements, battery drains, etc... on the oleo maule, the placement of the pod will have to be aft of the oleo struts, making the entire pod and contents adding to the aft CG. lots of things to consider when marketing a new product... just food for thought...

that being said, i would love to have a place to throw winter covers and sleeping bags for a weekend at the cabin :)
M5-235

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

just went and looked at my belly.
add to list of things;
DME antenna
hydraulic fittings for wheel skis
water rudder retract tube

kurt, are there any drawings or ideas on where it will be/ what shape it will be yet?
M5-235

akflyr

Post by akflyr »

Count me in for two. One for the m7 and one for the tri gear

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

Any updates on this?
TJ Van Matre

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Be nice to be able to put 20-30 gallons of fuel in a pod.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Maule988ms
100+ Posts

Post by Maule988ms »

Yes please

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Pod update:!
We have a donor AC secured and will be getting it down to Carbon Concepts this weekend. A big shout out to Sutton Aircraft Salvage for the donor.
CC's plan on the STC is to submit for several similar pods at the same time as they're all quite similar.
I will keep everyone apprised on any progress as it happens.

akflyr

Post by akflyr »

I'm ready! i want to be the first one on the block to have one

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Of course you do!! :)

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »