C4F engine to C1F

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
tellicovillage
100+ Posts

C4F engine to C1F

Post by tellicovillage »

Can someone familar with the Maule Engines help me out here?

From Lycoming (via Chris)

O-360-C4F : 180 2700 100/100LL 8.50:1 : Same as –C1F except has solid crankshaft and no provision for prop. governor

Looking at my engine is that not the rear prop govenor pad and front port? IF so then all I should need is the hollow crank correct?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cfnifl25izne ... MR4-a?dl=0

Thanks in Advance!
John

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

The fixed pitch version crankshaft though called 'solid' actually is not, it has a plug in the front or used to. Call Lycoming or a good engine rebuilder ('Lycon, Visalia, CA) about the facts. I think I remember rpm limits re vibration.
I remember selling some of these C4F engined Maules from the factory with the capability of converting to constant speed at a later date.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

Looks to me as if the C4F is convertible to C/S; I read a Lycoming parts manual that indicates that the oil plug that you pictured is removable for prop governor line installation and your photo of the governor mounting location looks like its suitable. Also, on the Vans forum, the guys are constantly removing and installing the crankshaft oil plugs to suit their need to install either fixed pitch or constant speed props on O-360's. You would have the remove the plug in the flange location and ensure the rear plug does not have a hole in it.

Now the question becomes will all the interested parties sign off on it...
M5