Making metal Two

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
tellicovillage
100+ Posts

Metal

Post by tellicovillage »

General consensus has been it doesn't matter. Though I am still curious. Engine is making a lot of metal. I could flush and see what happens in a few hours but with 1765 hrs and 20 years I am on borrowed time. So the engine is off the plane and I am looking at options. Was originally under the assumption that I would need a new case to convert to a C1F but maybe not. The parts book says O-360-C4F : 180 2700 100/100LL 8.50:1 : Same as –C1F except has solid crankshaft and no provision for prop. governor But my engine has the prop gov. pad and oil port. Per Jeremy many of those engines had a plug in the crank so it may just be a matter of removing the plug in the crank and adding the gov, maule kit etc. If anyone has engine shop recommendations or comments I am listening!

MauleEnvy

Re: Metal

Post by MauleEnvy »

tellicovillage wrote:General consensus has been it doesn't matter. Though I am still curious. Engine is making a lot of metal. I could flush and see what happens in a few hours but with 1765 hrs and 20 years I am on borrowed time. So the engine is off the plane and I am looking at options. Was originally under the assumption that I would need a new case to convert to a C1F but maybe not. The parts book says O-360-C4F : 180 2700 100/100LL 8.50:1 : Same as –C1F except has solid crankshaft and no provision for prop. governor But my engine has the prop gov. pad and oil port. Per Jeremy many of those engines had a plug in the crank so it may just be a matter of removing the plug in the crank and adding the gov, maule kit etc. If anyone has engine shop recommendations or comments I am listening!
Lycon in California! Opt for the porting on the cylinders. They did my C1F a couple years ago before I bought the plane and the dyno sheet shows 201.2 HP at 2700. Lycon has the porting down to a science on Lycomings for sure. Give them a call and see what they have to say about converting yours to C/S configuration.
Mike
1985 M5-180C

CaseyM
100+ Posts

Post by CaseyM »

John, How are things progressing with your engine? did you decide to go with a constant speed?
N1042Z
97' MX7-180C

tellicovillage
100+ Posts

Update

Post by tellicovillage »

0360 C1F Factory zero time rebuild just picked up yesterday. 2 blade c/s MT prop showed up last week. A&P/ia supposed to be at the hanger tomorrow. With any luck i'll be flying at the end of the month. It has been said before but all the "while you are here" stuff really adds up. (Most Everything is 20 years old) But with everything FWF new or lIke new...hoping I'll have a sweet ride for a long time! Pics soon!

chazdevil
100+ Posts

Post by chazdevil »

Exciting days ahead.
I’ll be following your progress. Very interested in your thoughts on the MT.
79 M5 235Turbo

CaseyM
100+ Posts

Post by CaseyM »

Wow, that is exciting. I think you'll be very happy with that C1F. Looking forward to seeing the pictures, as well as the MT prop feedback.
N1042Z
97' MX7-180C

tellicovillage
100+ Posts

Post by tellicovillage »

There was a pretty rough review of Flight Resource http://www.flight-resource.com/ online but I have to say my experience so far had been great. They got my field approval within the time frame promised and shipped the prop the next day. Both John and Larry were patient with my questions and quick to respond to phone or email. Will let everyone know how it performs soon!

SlowFlyer

Re: Metal

Post by SlowFlyer »

MauleEnvy wrote:
tellicovillage wrote:General consensus has been it doesn't matter. Though I am still curious. Engine is making a lot of metal. I could flush and see what happens in a few hours but with 1765 hrs and 20 years I am on borrowed time. So the engine is off the plane and I am looking at options. Was originally under the assumption that I would need a new case to convert to a C1F but maybe not. The parts book says O-360-C4F : 180 2700 100/100LL 8.50:1 : Same as –C1F except has solid crankshaft and no provision for prop. governor But my engine has the prop gov. pad and oil port. Per Jeremy many of those engines had a plug in the crank so it may just be a matter of removing the plug in the crank and adding the gov, maule kit etc. If anyone has engine shop recommendations or comments I am listening!
Lycon in California! Opt for the porting on the cylinders. They did my C1F a couple years ago before I bought the plane and the dyno sheet shows 201.2 HP at 2700. Lycon has the porting down to a science on Lycomings for sure. Give them a call and see what they have to say about converting yours to C/S configuration.
Sounds interesting! Is porting legal for certified birds?

Hale-Yes
100+ Posts

Post by Hale-Yes »

Porting what . . . :wink: