kids seat or baby seat mounted in back of maule?

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
HeavyLoad
100+ Posts

kids seat or baby seat mounted in back of maule?

Post by HeavyLoad »

Wondering if anyone has mounted a kids seat in the back of a maule. With the sling style in the back of the M5 my best guess is to remove that and make some mount for a kids car seat to bolt in there. But thought I would ask around first.

Thanks.

AndrewK
100+ Posts

Post by AndrewK »

With one kid we started off with a convertible car seat that allowed us to mount it in the rear seat facing forward and secure it using the single lap belt our M5 came with. We figured that it wasn't any different than mounting it in an older car that doesn't have the anchors most modern cars have.

Now I have the need to belt in 1 car seat and 1 booster so I am in the process of converting the single lap belt to individual 3-point harnesses per the following thread: http://maulepilots.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5257

Using that information, Scott at Hooker Harness took my order within minutes and a couple weeks they were on my door step.

I also spoke with Maule and they sent me the following airframe parts for about $45 to add a center mount in the floor for the 2 buckles and reinforcement tube and receiver for the left shoulder harness (the right one uses the existing upper sling seat attach points).

(1) 1239-1 Tube for rear seat belt
(1) 1239-2 Fitting
(1) 1239-15 Tube
(1) 1235-1 Tube, threaded fitting
(2) 1334 Bushing, seat belt

Now I just need to get it all installed. :D

HeavyLoad
100+ Posts

Post by HeavyLoad »

AndrewK wrote:mount it in the rear seat facing forward and secure it using the single lap belt our M5 came with.
Thanks for the reply! My M5 has a sling style rear seat. Is yours the same? The bottom and back cushion have no hard back board. I haven't tried to mount the car seat in there but seems like wouldn't be very stable.

Thanks for parts list for adding a center mount. That would be a nice upgrade.

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

doesn't your sling seat have a rigid bottom cushion that "snaps" into the fwd cross tube? if not, you might want to start by ordering one of those.
i ran a full size car seat in the back for a few years. always very difficult on floats with a life vest on. and it was always difficult to keep a headset on his head with all the neck support cushions. switched to a convertible one when he got a little older- made it much easier. now he's 4 and rides up front. and he keeps nagging me to put the copilot yoke back in :shock:
M5-235

AndrewK
100+ Posts

Post by AndrewK »

Yes, also a sling seat with the snap-in cushion on bottom and padded back like UP-M5 mentioned. We just placed the car seat in the middle of the sling seat and didn't have any issues with it rocking side to side or anything like that. Some of the car seats we've had over the years have had pretty wide bases so maybe that helped as well.

HeavyLoad
100+ Posts

Post by HeavyLoad »

Thanks for the help. Nice to know there are other maule owners with kids seats!