Boot Cowl Window

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
jdsmaule

Boot Cowl Window

Post by jdsmaule »

I'm interested in installing boot cowl windows on both sides. I am aware of the Maule drawing showing installation on the right side and thus not needing a 337. Has anyone installed it on the left (pilot side) with a field approval? Or any field approvals for boot cowl windows larger than the factory drawing?

Thanks!
Jeremy S.
1983 M-6-235

flyfish1

Post by flyfish1 »

Good question, I had the same question. I also want to do the boot cowl window on both sides. Since the factory already produced one with two boot cowl windows does that mean that a drawing exists? If not I’m interested in any 337s out there. That left cowl window would have come in handy when I had a small issue with my ski the other week.
flyfish1

jdsmaule

Post by jdsmaule »

I am not familiar with a factory aircraft with boot cowls on both sides. Do you have pictures? Last November I had emailed Duane at the factory and he informed me that only the normal size on the right side was approved. Has that changed?
Jeremy S.
1983 M-6-235

flyfish1

Post by flyfish1 »

Looking back at the post DirtDobber shared recently I was mistaken. I thought his aircraft was built by the factory but it was done by Performance Air. His post has some great photos of boot cowl windows on both sides.
flyfish1

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

The problem with the right side is the fuel selector valve and the header tank (if your model has one). They get in the way.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

Post by Chris in Milwaukee »

Which ones have header tanks? I've seen pics of them in the occasional rebuild photo. I'm guessing the Continental IO?
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A
Members: AOPA EAA VAA

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Yep, IO Continentals.

You guys got me confused. My selector is on the left (pilots) and window on the right (CoPilots) side.

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

Post by Chris in Milwaukee »

I think it was a typo. I knew what he meant (I hope). The fuel selector and header tank is on the left. And the drawing for the boot cowl window is for the right side, from what I understand.

Looking at the photos of the plane mentioned earlier, you can see the fuel selector in the middle of the left-side boot cowl window.
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A
Members: AOPA EAA VAA