T3 Tailwheel Suspension

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
bobguhr
100+ Posts

T3 Tailwheel Suspension

Post by bobguhr »

Has anyone tried the T3 Suspension Tailwheel on their Maule? I realize it's currently experimental.
http://www.airframesalaska.com/T3-Super ... -51343.htm
Last edited by bobguhr on Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

beaver

Post by beaver »

I am in process of trying to get a field approval, M7-260C, when I get it I will be happy to provide data.

bobguhr
100+ Posts

Post by bobguhr »

That would be much appreciated Thank You

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

beaver wrote:I am in process of trying to get a field approval, M7-260C, when I get it I will be happy to provide data.
Please let me know as soon as you get approval, I will follow in your footsteps immediately.

akflyr

T3

Post by akflyr »

I have been using the T3 with 1500 lb dual springs for a year now and would never go back to the pawnee or maule spring

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

Post by Chris in Milwaukee »

On your Maule, or an experimental? I do like them. One of the Bearhawkers is running one of the first and loves it.
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A
Members: AOPA EAA VAA

MauleEnvy

Re: T3

Post by MauleEnvy »

akflyr wrote:I have been using the T3 with 1500 lb dual springs for a year now and would never go back to the pawnee or maule spring
Did you get field approval or go as a minor modification?
Mike
1985 M5-180C

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

AK flyer, do you ha e the paperwork for installing? I will order a T3 today if I know it will bolt on legally in some fashion or another.

beaver

Post by beaver »

I'm aware of his install, not sure if he's experimental or used any kind of data. I'm working directly with Dan (inventor) to try and some type of approved data, been working on about a month or so. Unfortunately Airframes Alaska doesn't have ANY approved data, no TSO, No PMA, no STC for these on ANY model plane yet, I promise 1st will be a supercub when they do it. If and when that's done the process will become easier. I'm on my 3rd submittal so far, so getting closer. In addition Maule (the factory) was either unwilling or just doesn't have any technical data on the factory leaf spring...... amazing to me really, NOTHING. We have built a test fixture now to test the factory spring pack and develop baseline data, and then I'll test the T3 with the 1500 lb springs like AK Flyer (already have that unit here). hopefully that will be the final requirement, and hence an approval. Dan will get the actual data as soon as it is finished.

for now, only way to legally put these on any airplanes is experimental, unless you just do it (done that before too).

MauleEnvy

Post by MauleEnvy »

beaver wrote:I'm aware of his install, not sure if he's experimental or used any kind of data. I'm working directly with Dan (inventor) to try and some type of approved data, been working on about a month or so. Unfortunately Airframes Alaska doesn't have ANY approved data, no TSO, No PMA, no STC for these on ANY model plane yet, I promise 1st will be a supercub when they do it. If and when that's done the process will become easier. I'm on my 3rd submittal so far, so getting closer. In addition Maule (the factory) was either unwilling or just doesn't have any technical data on the factory leaf spring...... amazing to me really, NOTHING. We have built a test fixture now to test the factory spring pack and develop baseline data, and then I'll test the T3 with the 1500 lb springs like AK Flyer (already have that unit here). hopefully that will be the final requirement, and hence an approval. Dan will get the actual data as soon as it is finished.

for now, only way to legally put these on any airplanes is experimental, unless you just do it (done that before too).
Beaver, did you ever make any headway on your approval? I'm thinking about jumping in the "Just do it" category. What was the difference in weight of the T3 over the spring? How much did it shift the CG if at all?
Mike
1985 M5-180C

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

ABI already has all the drop test data for the Cub and Maule as we did it years ago. I know they have many projects on line but this should be fairly simple one

d1

Post by d1 »

Any update or field approval for the T3 Suspension that anyone is willing to share? Thanks

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

Looks like it's moving right along at the break-neck speed of government :roll:
The best Government, is less Government.

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

VA Maule wrote:Looks like it's moving right along at the break-neck speed of government :roll:
Exactly

wtxdragger
100+ Posts

Re: T3 Tailwheel Suspension

Post by wtxdragger »

Any word on the approval of the T3?
Mercifully Free from the Ravages of Intelligence
1989 M7-235 N90KD
1975 T210L N1675X
2022 CCK-1865 N922UM

https://www.instagram.com/wtxdragger/