New Tires - 29" or 31"

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
snaproll

New Tires - 29" or 31"

Post by snaproll »

I'm considering changing tires from my current Alaskan Bushwheels 26" to either 29" or 31". I have the heavy duty gear with 4" extension.

This change is strictly for esthetics. In my opinion the M5 looks better sitting with the nose higher and with bigger tires. I love the heavy duty extended gear and big brakes, but I have a chance to sell my 26" tires and do something else. My current tires are more than adequate for anything I do, so I'm not kidding myself that I need bigger tires. I just like bigger tires.

What I'd appreciate is any photos of your M5 (or M?) if you're running 29" or 31" tires so I can compare... especially if you're running extended gear.

Here's my current....

Many thanks.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

My MX-7-180 has ABI 31" tundra tires and standard ABI HD gear legs. The larger tires get your prop tips farther away from whatever is on the ground. In my case I was flying in the Idaho back country and there was lots of tough, tall brush on many of the airstrips. The bigger tires also give your landing gear more cushion and less of a beating.

If you want to add a larger prop, then the larger tire is a good idea.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

Post by Chris in Milwaukee »

Do you have big brakes to go with your big tires? Something else I keep in the back of my mind before an upgrade. Research tells me regular brakes are good up to 850s. I have 850s and regular brakes (single puck).
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A
Members: AOPA EAA VAA

snaproll

Post by snaproll »

When I bought the M5 it had 25" tires and stock brakes... not approved. So I bought the big brakes. Huge difference in landing roll.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Yes, Chris. I bought the Cleveland wheel conversion kit with dual puck brakes and flexible stainless steel brake lines from Wup at ABI in 2008. You need the dual puck brakes with the big tires and the wheel conversion kit replaces the 1/4" brake rotor with a 3/8" rotor.
Andy
1986 MX7-180