M4 Jetasen Battery/Box

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
ragwing8

M4 Jetasen Battery/Box

Post by ragwing8 »

The Concorde RGM battery in my M4-145 has leaked into the 2 year old battery box.

This last battery box cost almost 600 bucks just so I could install a POS Concorde battery. It's on the firewall.

I'd really like to go with an Odyssey and different battery box, or tray.

Any guidance appreciated.

No Maule mechanics around here nearby I can check with, and of course lower 48 FAA issues for field approvals.
63 M-4 "Old number, 26" (now sold and gone to Florida).

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

There are battery boxes available for the Odyssey from the company, Aircraft Spruce possibly, a couple companies in AK (Atlee Dodge perhaps).
However if your present box can be cleaned up, why not use it with an added baffle to keep Odyssey in place which is minor.
There are different interpretations in the FAA regs re replacing an aircraft certified battery. One is that it is an owner change and the other is 337 requirement however both need an IA sign off of the weight and balance change because it is about 13 lbs. There are hundreds of these batteries in use in all kinds of light aircraft that are not on the approval list so change mechanic if one doesn't want to do it.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

ragwing8

Post by ragwing8 »

Thanks Jeremy,

If I can salvage the current box, I will. I haven't been able to find anything that indicates there is an approved Odyssey battery for that Maule.

Which Odyssey is being used on the M-4?

So, is it a minor alteration based on AC 23-27, or would it require field approval? (non existent) around here.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

SBS J16 is the battery model.
Isame one used in Cubs to C185.
It’s an aviation approved battery and a good clear description taken from their info described with good justification will get it accepted on a 337 as long as your IA knows what he/she is doing and has done other 337s for other simple changes before thus knows the GADO. FISDO or whatever it’s now called.
As I said some IAs read deeply into the regs cross referencing back and forth and don’t think a 337 is needed. It’s just an approved battery change with updated weight and balance.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

ragwing8

Post by ragwing8 »

maules.com wrote:SBS J16 is the battery model.
Isame one used in Cubs to C185.
It’s an aviation approved battery and a good clear description taken from their info described with good justification will get it accepted on a 337 as long as your IA knows what he/she is doing and has done other 337s for other simple changes before thus knows the GADO. FISDO or whatever it’s now called.
As I said some IAs read deeply into the regs cross referencing back and forth and don’t think a 337 is needed. It’s just an approved battery change with updated weight and balance.
Is that battery the same dimensions as the battery it replaces? If not, how is installing some kind of spacer handled in the paperwork?

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Describe the spacer on 337 if used or in logbook entry.
Battery is much smaller but I don’t know what your box is like. Usually use same battery top clamp and simply shim the footprint of battery
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

ragwing8

Example

Post by ragwing8 »

Anyone with the Odyssey and a clamp mount made for it in an M-4 out there? If so, could you post a pick and the 337 used for the install so I can get it to my mechanic.

He's never done one.

I saw a picture of one on a Stinson that looked neat.

RT
100+ Posts

Odyssey

Post by RT »

I really like the Odyssey battery. I installed one in my M5 with just a logbook entry. My battery was under the passenger seat. I modified the original mount which isn't a battery box. I would think you could just fill the space around the smaller battery so it couldn't move around in your battery box . If you use a different type battery box I think you will have to get a field approval.
RT