Dual Wing Lights

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

On my M5, the right side light is pointed down, while the left one is pointed forward. Looks factory. I might imagine that at higher aoa this could be useful?
I can't remember if I fired six shots, or only five.....

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Ah... I was thinking it was dual lights per wing, not one in each. I forget not all Maules have one in each wing.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

crbnunit wrote:Ah... I was thinking it was dual lights per wing, not one in each. I forget not all Maules have one in each wing.
I'm thinking it is dual lights in each wing, thus the shorter base measurement for the dual lamp assembly (wider). At least that's what I'm going with when I reference this here drawing and make my logbook entry for adding lights.....
I can't remember if I fired six shots, or only five.....

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

Post by Chris in Milwaukee »

Following up on this, I just got off the phone with Bruce in tech support. He said you most definitely can put two lights per wing, one at each station. Now, whether the installed electrical system can handle an that many incandescent bulbs is another story. LEDs probably not a problem. But he wasn't able to tell me off the top of his head without researching it if there was enough wire in there to run them separately, like one set for landing, and another set for wig-wag or something like that.

Current price for the landing light assembly (drawing #9030E) at the time of this writing is $217. It may or may not come with fasteners and such, but should include the brackets, plexi, frame, and an incandescent bulb.
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A
Members: AOPA EAA VAA

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

I went out to the plane today and did some measurements. The light is currently at the outermost position in the drawing. According to the drawing, the second light goes one bay inboard. Ditto for the other wing (which isn’t installed in my plane — the light, not the wing :lol:).
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

While it is legal to install a 2nd light in each wing, there is not an additional wire to support the 2nd one. I'm not sure if jumping from the outboard one would overload the wire or not. (I'm not an electrical wiz). You would have to come up with a wiring solution. Now if you were running LEDs, I'm sure the wire would carry the load with no problem.

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

Yes sir, I would agree with that. Bruce said the same.

My plan would be to open up the right wing and add that landing light in the same outboard position. Then use existing wiring there to energize that bulb. I presume they’re both attached to the landing light switch. And, of course, switch to LEDs.

Second, open up the inboard positions, add LED recognition lights for a wig-wag setup, using a MaxPulse controller or similar, that I can leave on all the time. Of course, new wiring would be required for these.

Reasonable thought?
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

One problem would be on the left wing. I believe all the ports on the connector are filled but if you hook up recognition lights, LED of course, could you run a jumper from the stall warning? That circuit is only active for a short time on landing. Just thinking out loud.

Steelroamer
100+ Posts

Post by Steelroamer »

[quote=" Ditto for the other wing (which isn’t installed in my plane — the light, not the wing :lol:).[/quote]

OK, sorry I may or may not have spit my coffee out when I read that
There is no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

Chris in Milwaukee wrote: My plan would be to open up the right wing and add that landing light in the same outboard position. Then use existing wiring there to energize that bulb. I presume they’re both attached to the landing light switch. And, of course, switch to LEDs.

Second, open up the inboard positions, add LED recognition lights for a wig-wag setup, using a MaxPulse controller or similar, that I can leave on all the time. Of course, new wiring would be required for these.

Reasonable thought?
4 individual lights are not needed. that's just extra weight. the maxPulse controller can easily be switched from wig-wag to both on for night landing.
any wig-wag control box can be wired thru a 3 way switch to turn on either wig-wags, or steady on for night. 1 LED in each wing has excellent output for daytime recognition and nighttime illumination.
just my $0.02
M5-235

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

UP-M5 wrote:4 individual lights are not needed. that's just extra weight. the maxPulse controller can easily be switched from wig-wag to both on for night landing. Any wig-wag control box can be wired thru a 3 way switch to turn on either wig-wags, or steady on for night. 1 LED in each wing has excellent output for daytime recognition and nighttime illumination. Just my $0.02
Certainly keeps the wiring simple :)
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A

Steelroamer
100+ Posts

Post by Steelroamer »

Chris, here is another thread that you might want to read

http://maulepilots.org/forums/viewtopic ... highlight=

I put the aeroled lights in mine, they are LED and have the landing and the wigwag built in. if you want I can give you more info than is in that thread. not sure if that's what you are looking for.

Roamer
There is no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I really like the MaxPulse. I've had some close calls, well, closer than I'd like. I have been told the LED's pulsing at higher frequencies are really visible and attention grabbing. I usually pulse at 88 but you can go as fast as 120.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

Steelroamer wrote:Chris, here is another thread that you might want to read

http://maulepilots.org/forums/viewtopic ... highlight=

I put the aeroled lights in mine, they are LED and have the landing and the wigwag built in. if you want I can give you more info than is in that thread. not sure if that's what you are looking for.

Roamer
I recall reading that thread. Thanks for the reminder. I'll run through it again.
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

crbnunit wrote:I really like the MaxPulse. I've had some close calls, well, closer than I'd like. I have been told the LED's pulsing at higher frequencies are really visible and attention grabbing. I usually pulse at 88 but you can go as fast as 120.
I'll have to poke my head under the dash and see how things are wired to the switch. I never paid much attention the last time I was under there. If it's just a matter of two wires on the switch, one going to each wing, then adding a MaxPulse would be a piece of cake. Plug the two wires into the MaxPulse controller, and run a wire from the switch to the controller. Easy Peasy.
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A