Half rear seat?? Can it be done?

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
Float Pilot

Half rear seat?? Can it be done?

Post by Float Pilot »

Can the rear bench seat from an M5 or M7 be removed and only install a jump seat or half seat on one side. Thus making more room fro cargo and still have a back seat customer? I am used o being able to do this with Cessnas .. Can it be done with a Maule???

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Haven't ever seen that in a Maule. After the M-4, they all had sling seats in the back as far as I know, so the support bars have to spam from one side of the fuselage to the other for support. I suppose you could just cut off half of these at itself , leaving the bars in place. Not sure about getting that approved.

Float Pilot

Post by Float Pilot »

That is what I was thinking, just the bars and only half the sling seat. It might only count as a change in upholstery.

StuporRocket
100+ Posts

Post by StuporRocket »

Just have your upholstery shop make a new 1/2-seat that you can use when you need it. Install the full seat when you need both.
Scott@Oglesby.org

"Don't follow me. You won't make it."
PA-12-150
M-7-235

freedom
100+ Posts

Post by freedom »

Mine is experimental so it doesn't really count, but I'm planning to use the existing sling tubes configuration and strap in a car baby seat.
Had welded in 3 seat belts attachment points. Being an M5 I figured it could only host a child in that seat.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

freedom wrote:Mine is experimental so it doesn't really count, but I'm planning to use the existing sling tubes configuration and strap in a car baby seat.
Had welded in 3 seat belts attachment points. Being an M5 I figured it could only host a child in that seat.
I’m confused by this comment. Why would the back seat in your M-5 only be able to host a child?? Are you thinking of the third-row position in the M-7 (and some M-6s)?

freedom
100+ Posts

Post by freedom »

YES, that's the one I meant.
please disregard my comment..

gdflys
100+ Posts

Post by gdflys »

Anyone ever follow through with a half back seat? How did it work out? Thinking of doing the same for some photo flights.
Greg Delp
1979 M-5-235C
CT
ATP, CFI, A&P/IA

montana maule
100+ Posts

Post by montana maule »

I bought an old seat and sling. Went to a fabric shop, had it cut in half. Bars all stayed the same. Just less fabric. Now have more room for backpacks and etc. I'll see if I can dig up a picture. I called the factory to see if they would do it for me, but they were too busy. They did say B.D. had done it once or twice for certain projects.

gdflys
100+ Posts

Post by gdflys »

That would be great. Thanks. Seems like it would be very straight forward.
Greg Delp
1979 M-5-235C
CT
ATP, CFI, A&P/IA