Oregon Aero Seats

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I have about 60 lbs of survival gear, parts and tools in a bin in the cargo area. Several years ago before I installed the tundra tires I jacked the tailwheel up and put it on a scale. With full main tanks and the survival gear bin in the cargo area, it weighed in at 250 lbs. That's a lot to pick up with a 180 hp engine. I'll admit that I haven't tried very hard to pick the tail up at full power with the brakes on since I don't want to pick up gravel and nick the prop. I usually do a J-turn onto the grass adding full power as I go with 24 - 40 degrees flaps. The tail can't be forced up with elevators until I've picked up a little airspeed.

What prop do you have on your airplane?
Andy
1986 MX7-180

gdflys
100+ Posts

Post by gdflys »

Anyone have any pictures of their Oregon Aero rebuilt Maule seats? I might be redoing the interior while getting recovered. If you share please let me know what cushion thicknesses or options you went with.
Greg Delp
1979 M-5-235C
CT
ATP, CFI, A&P/IA

95E

Post by 95E »

I had very similar issues with comfort and knees in the yoke. I refoamed my seats from the buckets up with confor foam (One system that Oregon uses) that i layered up with all three densities. I used 1" green and then 2" blue and then 1" red (and 1/2" on one seat). if you layer it up and cut the base pieces so that the top is flat, the confor does the rest as far as molding to you.

The seats are 2-3" thinner, more comfortable even for 7 plus hour days, and i think more shock absorbing if that becomes an issue. THe foam comes with burn certs, and is super easy to work with.
"If you don't get in a hurry, you won't get into Trouble" - great advice I should have listened too...

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

I have an Oregon Aero seat cushion that came with an earlier airplane I don’t need the height but it does help relieve some of the pressure of sitting for long trips. I will move it around as needed to change position and that seems to work as well as anything. I tried it at work where some of those airbusess feel like a old bus ,it was nice but I was afraid I would forget it one day and they are a little pricey. I guess building up a new seat would be the best solution for some one looking to upgrade but I’m happy as is.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Joe, I tried the Kölbs Cushions Premium Orthopedic Coccyx Foam Cushion that you recommended and it works great. I was a little concerned that the 3" foam in thick part at the back was too soft and wouldn't lift me up enough to see over the cowling but it did. It's really nice not having my knees up so high that they hit the yoke. The cushion is comfortable, too.
Andy
1986 MX7-180