Wing wiring

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
gbarrier
100+ Posts

Wing wiring

Post by gbarrier »

Ok gurus, help me out here. I would like to pull the wiring out of the wing and replace it. I have them unhooked from nav lights and strobes. Found a couple tie wraps in last two outboard bays and removed. Here's my question, should they pull or are there tie wraps all along where I can't get to.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Not so much tiewraps as plastic screwed down loops.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Well then I guess I should ask "what would Jeremy do". Guessing I'll just run some new down the holes in the nose ribs.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

You can run a length of plastic rigid water line through the nose ribs then run the wires through a length of 1/4" tubing and insert through the larger tube then remove the larger tube, voila, protected electric wireing with a tiny weight gain.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Thanks. I've done the plastic pipe trick a couple of times when we installed the plastic tubing for AOAs. I'll be running four pieces of shielded cable so 1/4 won't work but perhaps a piece of half inch pex.

Steelroamer
100+ Posts

Post by Steelroamer »

I just replaced my wingtip and landing lights this last spring. while I had the wingtip off i wrapped the new wires and tapped them to a piece 1X1 aluminum angle and fed the angle all the way to the cab and then grabbed the wires and removed the angle. I then fed just the angle in from the other wingtip taped the wire too it and pulled it out to the wingtip. I tried tubing originally but found it was too flimsy, the angle was much more rigid and I was able to twist it to get it to go through the holes in the ribs.

not sure if this helps but it is what I found and it probably only took 20 minutes to complete, not including wingtip removal.

the old wire is still in there.

Roamer
There is no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

Post by Chris in Milwaukee »

Speaking of wing wiring, did I read in an archived post somewhere that landing light wiring exists in both left and right wings from the factory, even though I only have one in the left wing? Or did I dream that?
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A
Members: AOPA EAA VAA

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Wire should be in there.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide