Floats

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
MikeW
100+ Posts

Floats

Post by MikeW »

Does anyone have a ballpark price on adding floats to an M4. This would be the cost not including the floats themselves. I don't have float fittings so what equipment in addition to the floats would I need and what price am I looking at. Thanks

Mikew

aero101
100+ Posts

Floats on M4

Post by aero101 »

Most of the rear fittings for M4 are bolt on and will depend on what model M4 you have as to what floats are eligible for installation. The only floats I've seen on M4 are EDO 2440's but I see on the TCDS that PK 2300's, Fleet 2500's, and CAP 2000's depending on model M4 you have. Not sure but think they are all going to require the ventral fin as well as the hoist attach fittings, which are available from Maule Air probably cheaper then you could have built and they may have bolt on fittings as well for the 2440's? I would call EDO at Kenmore Air to check on what comes with the currently mnfr'd 248B-2440's which would probably make you the best float? I think the problem you're going to have is finding an approved set of used floats with the correct rigging to fit an M4 as just not that many serviceable used sets out there in that configuration for sale unless you buy the whole airplane? If you have to mnfr the rigging yourself or buy, that can get kind of pricey in a hurry. Most of the stuff to install the floats should come with the floats if they're for the M4, so you might not need the fittings, ventral fin, etc, all depending on what you find for floats? The water rudder rigging can all be locally mnfr'd when you install the floats for 3-4 hours labor and price of the control cable? Good luck!!!
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

The M4 did not all come from the factory with float re-inforcement. Maule sells a kit and parts of it have to be welded in.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Karl Hartlen

Post by Karl Hartlen »

Mike,

which model M4 have you got?

Karl

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

i have a digital copy of drawing 9001F sheet 1 & 2 - float reinforcement modifications - if you dont already have it.

it is in adobe .pdf format. i would post it here, but i'm not sure how. i can email it though.

that along with the 1203A fuselage tube bill of materials is the only way to know for sure if you have float mods. these drawings are also available from the factory. digital copies are free, but a nice big blueprint style printout will cost you 10 bucks or something. well worth it if you have to drop it off to your mechanic and say "weld these in"

my M5 fuselage had all the structural mods EXCEPT the reinforce plate welded in under the rear cargo doors.

you can also call maule engineering dept and have them look up your serial number (fuselage serial number or production number) to see if they added the mods before it left the factory. of course mine was a bastard and had no records :roll:
M5-235

MikeW
100+ Posts

Post by MikeW »

I have a 1973 M-4 210C. So it sounds like I need to price out reinforcing the airframe first. Depending on how that looks I'll go from there. If I buy a set of floats that don't have Maule rigging, can the rigging be bought somewhere or does it have to be fabricated?

Mike

kbbell

Post by kbbell »

There was an M4/210 on Aqua 2400s in Duluth, MN. I believe it's in Albert Lea, MN
now.

I was told it was a field approval, but Aqua Floats (in MN) probably made the rigging.

-Bill B
Bill/MN

belandd
100+ Posts

Floats

Post by belandd »

Just a note, floats are not on the original type certificate for an M 4
Silly Billy Charters and Tours
Valdez, AK.

MikeW
100+ Posts

Post by MikeW »

Perhaps not for the very early models, I have a '73 and it is approved for floats, and skis along with a list of approved manufactuers.

Mike

belandd
100+ Posts

Floats

Post by belandd »

Good, iIwondered.

I had dealt with a M-4 with the Franklin engine and we had a problem with the FAA due to the Type Certificate not having floats on it.
Silly Billy Charters and Tours
Valdez, AK.