Lightweight radio

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
crbnunit
100+ Posts

Lightweight radio

Post by crbnunit »

I am sporting an old KX175B with the MAC 1700 digital tuner mod. Good radio and I have no intention of replacing it unless I have problems. That said, that bugger weighs in at about 9lbs with the tray.

Out of curiosity and with eyes on the future, what is everyone's favorite light weight alternative. Don't really need a nav. radio, just a com.

I like the little ICOM IC-200. Heard nasty things about the 210. Anyone hear good/bad about the 220?
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Added a used KY97A to the champ probably ten years ago. It's lightweight and hasn't missed a beat. Added a Stratus Transponder with 2i last year and with an IPad we have Com, transponder, ADS-B in and out, as well as pretty descent VFR nav on the IPad. Lightweight and reasonable.

Remember those KX170B and 175 units. Good old units. Had a slew of them in a fleet of Pipers. They worked forever. Had a couple spares in the bottom drawer of a filing cabinet and switched out as necessary. Finally gave the spares away when we sold out.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I was flying in the Cessna 185 for work a few days ago and had my iPad mini clamped to the yoke with a RAM claw as usual. I was charging the iPad from a battery pack while using it and it shut down because it got too hot. It was one of those 94F summer days and the combination of heat from charging, operating and ambient was too much for the iPad. Also, I have a Pivot case on it, which encloses the entire unit so there's not a lot of ventilation around the iPad itself.

Just a reminder that these things are great but not designed for the environment that we often fly in.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

A more vertical placement like you can do with suction cup to side window seems to do better. I products don't like sun to the horizontal surface of their face.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Some times while enroute I will use the flap handle to mount the iPad if it will keep it out of the sun. Of course it has to come off before landing but it has keep it cool enough on a couple of legs to keep it from over heating. I have one of the Ram mounts for tubes to move it around .
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

If you're looking to save a lot of weight, also check out the Micro-Air comm. mounts in a 2 1/4" hole ( or larger with adapter) and frees up space in the center stack.

Weighs 14 oz but only transmits at I think 4 watts. I'd think about that and use the center stack free space for an iPad mount. They also make a transponder.

Kirk

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Transponder is out of stock and not ADS-B.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I have eyeballed the Microair and the Becker coms as well. Interesting little radios.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

StuporRocket
100+ Posts

Post by StuporRocket »

I have an Icom IC-A200 in my PA-12 and it does a fine job. No complaints whatsoever.
Scott@Oglesby.org

"Don't follow me. You won't make it."
PA-12-150
M-7-235

DirtDobber

Post by DirtDobber »

I really like the Garmin SL-40. It is small, yet quality radio and it has the capability to monitor the standby freq. So if you only have one comm, you can still listen to two frequencies without a comm 2 and audio panel. They've been around for a while too, so a used one can be found at a reasonable price.