Micro VG and Up Gross kit

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
TSUDTELL

Micro VG and Up Gross kit

Post by TSUDTELL »

I seem to be really having a problem with Chrome/Linux and the search feature of this web site.
So sorry for the repeat questions.

Have a 1980 M5 235C 2300# gross. I thought there was a up gross kit from Maule. I can't find it. Anyone know where and how much? And, how much labor in Hrs?

Has anyone had experience with VG's before and after on a M5 wing. I know a few have purchased there Maule with them but I am looking for a real comparison.

Thanks

Ted

TomD
100+ Posts

UPgross

Post by TomD »

I dug within the Maule Air website and came up with this:

http://mauleairinc.com/pdf/servicelette ... ter_43.pdf

I installed the Micro VG's ( https://microaero.com/ ) on my M5-235C, after installing the upgross kit.

The biggest bang for my buck was the elevator gap seal kit. Radically improves the elevator authority.

The Micro VG's really do improve the low speed maneuverability. Markedly improves the ability to maintain control during slow speed approaches.

If you have the chance, install the vg's on the aluminum before painting. That way the bond depends on the bond to the metal not the paint to the metal.

Highly recommend all three mods.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Do the VGs, a very good addition.
GWt kit is also an effective modification, call Maule air inc for most recent price
Don't leave a message, get hold of Bryan in parts.
Very much depending on the shop and person doing the work but 33 hrs was the figure we used in the '80s when the kit became available.
Wheels will be 2300gwt to 2500 gwt
Floats will be 2530 gwt up to 2750 gwt.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Good morning Ted,
What Tom and Jeremy have offered is a sound.
I have an M-4 and while a little different, is essentially the same wing. The elevator gap seal, in my opinion, is essential. On the M-5, I believe it is also on the TCDS. On the -4 it is not and I feel that is wrong. The VG's will not lower your stall speed. They will give you excellent control right up until the wing quits flying. In slow flight, I have solid control and can do S-turns into the low 40's easily. The difference is amazing. The safety factor is huge. I would recommend too that you spend a lot of time in this configuration (At altitude) and learn what the plane will do so that it will never surprise you. Forget the instruments, learn to feel the plane. But these are worthwhile things to add to your plane.
Look me up sometime, it appears we're near each other. I fly out of Anderson Lake.
Kurt
Live it like its your last day.

TSUDTELL

Post by TSUDTELL »

YELLOWMAULE wrote:Good morning Ted,
What Tom and Jeremy have offered is a sound.
I have an M-4 and while a little different, is essentially the same wing. The elevator gap seal, in my opinion, is essential. On the M-5, I believe it is also on the TCDS. On the -4 it is not and I feel that is wrong. The VG's will not lower your stall speed. They will give you excellent control right up until the wing quits flying. In slow flight, I have solid control and can do S-turns into the low 40's easily. The difference is amazing. The safety factor is huge. I would recommend too that you spend a lot of time in this configuration (At altitude) and learn what the plane will do so that it will never surprise you. Forget the instruments, learn to feel the plane. But these are worthwhile things to add to your plane.
Look me up sometime, it appears we're near each other. I fly out of Anderson Lake.
Kurt
Hi Kurt. Nice to meet someone close, 2 miles. Memory Lake...
I am beyond a rusty pilot more like a corroded pilot, been 40 years and a lot harder than I thought. Still relearning.
Any idea where to get the gap seal?

Thanks

PS Thanks Tom and Jeremy

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

Maule Air is always the best place for Maule parts.

Micro VG's I think are only available from the company in my earlier post.

Flyin'Dutch'

Post by Flyin'Dutch' »

Used to have an M5-235 and added the VGs and gap seal kit.

Installation very very easy and straightforward.

Transformed the aeroplane.

Much better aileron effectiveness at slow speeds, and the tail VGs and gap seal improved elevator authority beyond recognition, especially in the flare with the engine at idle.

Losing a couple of knots off the stall an added bonus.

Biggest bang for buck when it comes to upgrades in my book.
Previously M5-235C GBVFT
FAA CPL/IR AME CAA PPL