Camera hole

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
RT
100+ Posts

Camera hole

Post by RT »

Has anyone on here used the Maule for a camera platform? I have a friend that wants to buy a Maule to mount cameras for survey photography. He was concerned about engine oil and exhaust affecting the camera performance. He has had problems with the exhaust on a 182 and had to have a deflector. If anybody has any insight on this please speak up.
RT

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

In this day and age, with the technology that is now available, I would go with wing mounted equipment and skip the port in through the belly designs all together. It all depends on the mission I suppose.
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

BamaMaule

Post by BamaMaule »

My plane has a camera port and was previously owned by a mapping company so I know it can be done. In fact, if you look closely at my avatar you can see it on the belly of the fuse. Sorry, no experience using the camera port.
Greg
1980 M5-180C

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Has been my experience that almost all belly camera ports require exhaust routing changes in pretty much all small aircraft up thru the small turbines. The waves formed with the hot exhaust gases tend to distort pics unless routed away from belly center / camera lens area. Unless port installed far aft, and exhaust located out the side of cowl, 'ah 'la Beaver style which does work fairly well...
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Go with an in-the-wing or strut mount for the camera. The belly hole sets the camera up for oil to coat the lens/UV filter. I don't have a belly hole on my MX-7-180 but the 1985 Cessna A185F that I fly at work does. I've tried almost everything possible to avoid getting an oil mist on the UV filter that protects the lens, but nothing is 100% effective so far. We re-routed the oil breather tube outlet and recessed the camera in the port. The exhaust pipe outlet on the 185 is angled to the right side so it isn't in line with the camera port, but you can see the stain of the oil and soot on the right cowl flap. It spreads out as the airstream pushes it back toward the camera hole. The Maule's exhaust and oil breather tube are more in line with the camera port, so I would expect the problem to be worse. The more you can recess the end of the lens inside the tube, the better, but that will show up as a black circle around the perimeter of the photo if the camera is recessed too much.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Be careful because of the negative pressure in most small airplane cabins carbon monoxide can be an issue. Like what was pointed out with the gopro style cameras a wing mount seems to be a lot easier.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Every design is different. Need to talk to someone who has used one on a Maule. Ran a couple Cherokees back in the early 90s with a hole under the right front seat. Recess was about an inch. Took a lot of pics and never had a problem. Like I said, someone has bound to have used one in a Maule and they will know.

RT
100+ Posts

Post by RT »

I was hoping somebody on here would know first hand on the Maule. In order to mount a camera on the wing strut one would have to get a field approval,because I don't think there is an STC for the Maule. The camera port in the belly would be approved per Maule drawings. This would be for a comercial operation so has to be legal.
RT

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

It's amazing what one can find on the parts CD. Maule drawing 1263B rev. A shows a camera port. Looks like an entry installing with this drawing should be all that is required. You might call Brian and ask if he can furnish that as a kit. Only thing I am not completely clear about is that it shows relocating rudder cable which I assume means adding or moving a fairlead.

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

Rerouting the rudder cable is only needed for the 9" camera hole. The 6" one does not require that.

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Thanks Duane. Makes sense. Can I assume that the part on the drawing labeled "stovepipe assembly" is just that, stovepipe?

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

Lol.. no, it just resembles one.

TSUDTELL

Post by TSUDTELL »

RT wrote:I was hoping somebody on here would know first hand on the Maule. In order to mount a camera on the wing strut one would have to get a field approval,because I don't think there is an STC for the Maule. The camera port in the belly would be approved per Maule drawings. This would be for a comercial operation so has to be legal.
I'm not using mine, you can have it just pay for shipping. No wait a minute that won't work LOL. I could take pictures of it where it is, looks pretty simple other than the stove pipe parts going down and the plug that goes in when not in use is angled with the belly of the plane. Also got a glider tow hook installed at the factory when the plane was new. No idea what to do with that, maybe tow banners. :P The release lever is right between my feet always getting in the way.