Newby Maule questions

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
R.D.

Newby Maule questions

Post by R.D. »

Hello all, new to the forum. I've spent the last few days going over the pages of forum posts trying to educate myself and I have a few more questions. Great forum by the way - Very knowledgable people on here.

Originally, I thought I was going to buy an M4 and put it on floats. However, I'm reading that some M4's didn't have floats on the TC, and M4's might not have come from the factory with the mods as per Drawing 9001F Sheet 1 & 2. Also, while the mods might be able to be incorporated with wet towels and good luck, some people say they'd never attempt the mods again on an airplane that was still covered. Is that accurate?

So that brings me to my first question, should I be looking for an M5 to begin with? Regarding the M5's, am I looking for one later than 1974 so it has the floatplane reinforcements?

Also, with both the M4 and the M5, how is performance with the 210 and the 220? I actually like both engines. The 235 would be nice as well because of the Mogas option.

My mission will be outfitting, supplying, building a remote cabin on a pretty good size lake, at least a mile and a half long with clear approaches and departure. Will a 210/220HP M4/M5 haul me, half tanks and 300 pounds of cargo reasonably?

As far as floats, it seems as though the Aqua 2400's are pretty popular, but again, if I'm reading the entries correctly, they aren't approved on the M4? Is that another vote for the M5?

Thanks in advance for everyone's input. Great forum!

R.D.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

The M5 can be updated with a high gross weight kit though 1981 and later have it (check nevertheless).
2300lbs to 2500lbs on wheels then with the gwt waiver of 10% that is 2530lbs or 2750lbs gwt on floats.
M5 began in 1974 but always check for floatplane reinforcement until about 1980.
M4 and M5 are good performers with 210 or 220hp. And can do your mission.
M5 has more options and float options
M4 can use PK 2300, Edo 2440, CAP.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

R.D.

Post by R.D. »

Thanks Jeremy, good information.

R.D.

Post by R.D. »

For experimental purposes, has anyone extended the shorter wings or are there other structural considerations beyond just adding spar and ribs? Also, I'm thinking of heading up to Valdez in a couple weeks for the competition. Is there a Maule contingent that usually shows up there?

I have a Youtube channel dedicated to backcountry type aircraft that may be of interest. Life has interrupted all of that for the moment, but I'll be back at it soon. I don't have any Maule videos yet, but hopefully that will follow soon.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-QzOT ... sj-uYOTobA

Thanks
Last edited by R.D. on Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

There is approved paperwork from Maule, allows M6 or M7 wings installed on M5.. Considerably more flaps, longer wings, and ailerons this conversion. Requires some minor welding for flap torque tube installation, but makes a heck of a performance difference on floats. Nothing available for the M4, other than experimental route. On floats M5 does make slightly better float plane than M4, but with right props / power combination either 210 conti or 220 franklin will do quite well though.
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

R.D.

Post by R.D. »

aero101 wrote:...M6 or M7 wings...but makes a heck of a performance difference on floats...
Jim, I checked out your website, thanks for providing the handy link, it looks like you're exactly what I'm looking for. If I fly a wheeled Maule up there, you guys look like the experts to set it up on floats. Do you have a line on used floats from time to time as well?

I noticed you're operating 180 horse M7 on floats, what do you think of it as a floatplane as apposed to a shorter wing M5 but with higher horse power?

Thanks in advance

HeavyLoad
100+ Posts

Post by HeavyLoad »

maules.com wrote: M5 began in 1974 but always check for floatplane reinforcement until about 1980.
Whats the easiest way to tell if a M5 has floatplane reinforcement?

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Open both rear doors, remove vynyl covered trim plate by your knees on inside.
The float reinforcement includes a triangular shaped flat plate welded to fuselage. It has lightening holes in it.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide