How many performance mods to airframe are there?

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
Ian

How many performance mods to airframe are there?

Post by Ian »

Hi

I know of the elevator seal and VG's but are there others ie flap seals aileron seals.

Ian
Best Regards

Ian

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

I recently read on this forum about "barn door" flaps. I assume they are larger in size? Unfortunately that is the extent of my knowledge.
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

sojorrn wrote:I recently read on this forum about "barn door" flaps. I assume they are larger in size? Unfortunately that is the extent of my knowledge.
Don't believe everything you read :wink: Where did you hear of such a thing?

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

It is more than likely I am misinterpreting
but it made sense to me that they were non stock?

http://maulepilots.org/forums/viewtopic ... c&start=30
Hottshot wrote:That is a Tail low Wheel landing..... How do i know you ask??? I was there to see it.... In a Stock Maule it is very hard to do as you don't have the gear hight to allow you to keep the tail off the ground, albeit it can be done.

With the M4's and 5's with the approach angle a very high % of your landings are tail first (maybe a milisecond but itis there) with the TT flaps and the fact that they are longer (Barn doors) the approach angle is flatter and offers a slower aproach speed that lends itself to a very nice wheel landing speed that the 4's and 5's are not well set up to do.

Just my $.02
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

I think he's simply referring to the stock, but longer flaps that are on the longer winged Maule.
Usually "barn door" flaps are the fowler type wide cord flaps on a Cessna. The early Cessna's, 140 and I believe 170A had simple flaps like a Maule. When the newer ones with the big fowler flaps came out they were called "barn door" flaps. Fowlers are much more effective and complicated than simple flaps, I wish Maule had Fowlers, but it would be a real major undertaking. I'm real sure there is no flap STC.
I'll try to remember to do an STC search at work Mon. for Maules, but I don't think there is anything that increases performance except for VG's.

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

Isn't there a mod for a cuff on the wings? I thought I once heard that. Piper has one for a cuff on pacers and tripacers. I didn't have them on mine but it was always a consideration.
Iceman

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

crosswinds STOL has an STC for a leading edge cuff along with aileron fences and upswept wingtips on most pipers, including shortwing pipers. i asked if they had considered adding the maule? they said they built a cuff and fence kit for a guy in europe some years back and it had good results, but they weren't interested in going thru the work to get the STC.
M5-235

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

Oh. Too bad that would be a fairly decent ad on if it worked like it does on the Pipers.
Iceman