Strobes and Wig Wags

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
Steelroamer
100+ Posts

Strobes and Wig Wags

Post by Steelroamer »

Looking for some info here. I believe my strobes on my 1984 M6 have finally given up the ghost. I Have been doing some reading on previous posts but there is nothing recent. as far as I can tell I need to change out the strobe system. What is the best bang for the buck (good quality without aviation prices!!!)

While I am at it I was going to put in a wig wag system for the landing lights. what do I need to order for that? and should I upgrade the lights at the same time? and to what?

I know you guys like spending other peoples money!!

So, to recap
- strobe system?
-wig wag system?
-landing lights?

I would like to get it ordered so when I go in for my annual I would like to have it with me for the mechanic

thanks
Roamer
There is no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing

DirtDobber

Post by DirtDobber »

I just did all of the above, and couldn't be happier with the results. However, the really good stuff, as with anything, wasn't the cheapest.

I put in the LED Teledyne Alphabeam Landing/Taxi in both wings. (Spruce part #11-08459) I researched quite a bit and picked the brightest light with combination spot/flood for the best overall light projection. They are really bright, even in daylight. My home strip doesn't have any lights, so good landing lights are important to me. These are good.

I used the Maxpulse landing light controller to wig-wag. (Spruce part #11-06998) It has settings for steady on for Port, Starboard, and Port & Starboard. It has a setting to flash both lights at once at 44 pulse per min. And it has wig-wag options of 44, 88, and 120 pulse per min. I leave it on wig-wag 88 all the time during daylight for visibility and everyone has said they really stand out and are visible from far away.

For the nav/strobe, I went LED with Aeroleds Pulsar NSP. (Spruce part #11-10478). They are LED, so I also leave them on all the time as well. One cool thing about these is that the white light is in the back of the wingtip lights, so you can eliminate the white light on the tail.

I know there are some less expensive nav/strobe options that may suit you better. But for the landing lights and wig-wag, I think doing both of those are no brainers. Good LED lights and you shouldn't have to replace them again for a long, long time.

Glad to spend others money. Seems like I never have trouble finding people to spend mine.

Steelroamer
100+ Posts

Post by Steelroamer »

That's exactly what I am looking for, quick question about the strobes, they have the red and green light on them correct? so I can change out the entire wingtip unit? Spruce gives you an option of harness length, can I just use the existing wires or do I need to order the harness? if so what length?

thanks again
Roamer

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

Is the LED Nav system a suitable replacement for the wingtip strobes?
M5

Stinger
100+ Posts

Post by Stinger »

DirtDobber wrote:I just did all of the above, and couldn't be happier with the results. However, the really good stuff, as with anything, wasn't the cheapest.

I put in the LED Teledyne Alphabeam Landing/Taxi in both wings. (Spruce part #11-08459) I researched quite a bit and picked the brightest light with combination spot/flood for the best overall light projection. They are really bright, even in daylight. My home strip doesn't have any lights, so good landing lights are important to me. These are good.

I used the Maxpulse landing light controller to wig-wag. (Spruce part #11-06998) It has settings for steady on for Port, Starboard, and Port & Starboard. It has a setting to flash both lights at once at 44 pulse per min. And it has wig-wag options of 44, 88, and 120 pulse per min. I leave it on wig-wag 88 all the time during daylight for visibility and everyone has said they really stand out and are visible from far away.

For the nav/strobe, I went LED with Aeroleds Pulsar NSP. (Spruce part #11-10478). They are LED, so I also leave them on all the time as well. One cool thing about these is that the white light is in the back of the wingtip lights, so you can eliminate the white light on the tail.

I know there are some less expensive nav/strobe options that may suit you better. But for the landing lights and wig-wag, I think doing both of those are no brainers. Good LED lights and you shouldn't have to replace them again for a long, long time.

Glad to spend others money. Seems like I never have trouble finding people to spend mine.
I was flying last week and noticed my left wing landing light was out. Started thinking about changing to LED and the wig wag setup. Where do you have the MaxPulse controller at in your plane?

MizzouMaule

WIG - WAGs!!

Post by MizzouMaule »

I put in the AERO-LED wig wags last year. LOVE 'EM! Very bright and of course, look pretty cool coming in for a landing!

All you do is buy the lights and the wig-wag system is built into the actual light. All that you need to do is install a toggle switch on the panel!

No need for an extra box or anything within the aircraft.

Brent Maule told me about them.
Bill
1998 MX7-180C

MizzouMaule

Wig wags......

Post by MizzouMaule »

Looking at the AeroLEDs website - I got the "Sunspot 36HX landing with pulse". I had a video of them wig wagging in the hanger, but doesn't really reflect how bright they are - Had many good comments on the brightness - even during the day. Don't know how to attach video to one of these messages.
Bill
1998 MX7-180C

DirtDobber

Post by DirtDobber »

Steelroamer wrote:That's exactly what I am looking for, quick question about the strobes, they have the red and green light on them correct? so I can change out the entire wingtip unit? Spruce gives you an option of harness length, can I just use the existing wires or do I need to order the harness? if so what length?

thanks again
Roamer
Yes, the unit is a nav light and strobe all in one. I think we used the existing wires for mine. Might check on what you have in there and make sure it compatible.

DirtDobber

Post by DirtDobber »

DeltaRomeo wrote:Is the LED Nav system a suitable replacement for the wingtip strobes?
Yes. I replaced whelen strobes with this system.

DirtDobber

Post by DirtDobber »

Stinger wrote:
DirtDobber wrote:I just did all of the above, and couldn't be happier with the results. However, the really good stuff, as with anything, wasn't the cheapest.

I was flying last week and noticed my left wing landing light was out. Started thinking about changing to LED and the wig wag setup. Where do you have the MaxPulse controller at in your plane?
I put the switch just to the left of where the pilot yoke comes through the lower panel.

Steelroamer
100+ Posts

Re: WIG - WAGs!!

Post by Steelroamer »

MizzouMaule wrote:I put in the AERO-LED wig wags last year. LOVE 'EM! Very bright and of course, look pretty cool coming in for a landing!

All you do is buy the lights and the wig-wag system is built into the actual light. All that you need to do is install a toggle switch on the panel!

No need for an extra box or anything within the aircraft.

Brent Maule told me about them.
I like the idea of these lights, does anyone know if it would be possible to replace the current rocker for the landing light to a 3 way rocker (center off, up landing,down wig wag) that would fit into the current location? to me that would be ideal.

MizzouMaule

Post by MizzouMaule »

I looked all over for a 3-way rocker and could only find one for a Cessna and it looked like it wouldn't fit. Also called Maule and I think they said they didn't have one either - If I remember right (it was 1.5 years ago), I think they used a row of switches so they weren't individual ones that fit each slot. Now I believe they are using toggle switches on all new aircraft. I even thought about a split switch (like the bat and alt switch) but that wouldn't work either.
It's really no big deal, If I want to switch from wigwag to landing, just turn the toggle off and then switch on the landing lights on their current switch.
Bill
1998 MX7-180C

Steelroamer
100+ Posts

Post by Steelroamer »

So I ordered and just received the Aero LED landing lights with the WIG WAG built in, and the AERO LED wingtip strobes. I decided that I would order a 3 way switch and install it elsewhere in the dash so that my landing lights and wig wags would be on the same switch.

hoping to install at the end of April when I do the annual. will keep you posted, and as always thanks again for all the input guys. I love this place!!

Roamer

MizzouMaule

Post by MizzouMaule »

Good choice, roamer. They're bright and I get complements on mine all the time.
Bill
1998 MX7-180C

Steelroamer
100+ Posts

Post by Steelroamer »

for north of 2 grand I sure hope so!!!!!..... but when you need 'em, you need 'em.

thanks again