Strobes and Wig Wags

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
MizzouMaule

Post by MizzouMaule »

YIKES! Glad I didn't get the wingtip strobes, just the landing lights.
With all those turned on it'll be so bright you'll think it's daytime!
Bill
1998 MX7-180C

Stinger
100+ Posts

Post by Stinger »

Looking at the AeroLED Sunspot 36HX. P/N 11-08143 from Spruce.
Any thoughts on using a Landing light in one wing, and a Taxi light in the other wing?
Also which (if any) harness? 7.5ft, 12ft, 25ft?
Looking through the install manual, I'd need to add a wire and an extra switch to get the wig-wag mode. If I don't install that switch or wire right away, will the lights still work in a steady-on with the current landing light switch?

Or would it be easier and just as good of a setup to use the Alphabeam LEDs with the MaxPulse Controller?

Steelroamer
100+ Posts

Post by Steelroamer »

stinger,
I can't comment on the 2 different lights but they landing lights will work with the existing wires you just have to change the end connection.

as far as running the extra wire it was pretty easy as I already had the wingtip off to install the strobes. I ran a long piece of light angle from the end of the wing to the root with the wire taped to it at the end, I then pulled it through the cab and installed the angle from the end of the other wing, taped the wire to it and pulled it through, took 10 minutes.

as far as the switch to go from landing to wig wag, I kept the main power going through the existing landing light switch as it is a breaker switch then ran the power to a separate 3 way switch. so centered they are off, up is wig wag and down for landing lights.

just running to the existing switch without the timing wire will give you breaker protected landing lights!!
There is no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

Stinger wrote:Looking at the AeroLED Sunspot 36HX. P/N 11-08143 from Spruce.
Any thoughts on using a Landing light in one wing, and a Taxi light in the other wing?
Also which (if any) harness? 7.5ft, 12ft, 25ft?
Looking through the install manual, I'd need to add a wire and an extra switch to get the wig-wag mode. If I don't install that switch or wire right away, will the lights still work in a steady-on with the current landing light switch?

Or would it be easier and just as good of a setup to use the Alphabeam LEDs with the MaxPulse Controller?
That's exactly what I did, just make sure to aim the taxi light with the stripes on the bulb face vertically. That gives a wider spread of light.
1980 M5-235
Four Corners