maule wheel nut kit

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
iceman
100+ Posts

maule wheel nut kit

Post by iceman »

Just got the wheel nut kit in the mail and tried to put them on. Unable to get them on the axle. Jeremy I recall you once saying what needed to be done in some cases. How and what. I got one on but the new gear axle wouldn't accept the nut. Just get it started and then it bogs down and I ca n't turn the Socket they sent.. The other one, the original axle, goes on but there isn't enough threads to get the nut on all the way.. It goes on about half way and then seats. :cry:
Iceman

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Unfortuneately, over the years Maules tooling got out of tolerance and the old style wheel nuts were turned to fit the axles.
The new nuts are terrific, one of David Maules great inventions, however you have to chase the threads of the axles with a die.
This problem with the tooling is a typical example of why Maule has slipped behind the other manufacturers. Frustrating is'nt it.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

:roll:
Iceman

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

It goes back a while. My 83 model's threads will have to be chased, so that's 25 years. Only reason I will put the fancy nuts on is that with the ABW 1010 wheel, there is no cap to cover the axle.
At least you didn't get stupid and try to force them on. The parts people didn't advise you on having to chase the threads when you bought the parts? I would have thought the axle nuts would come with a loaner die (with a substantual deposit) that you would get back when you returned it.

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

OK went down to Brown field where the M4 is and my mechanic looked at it and we called David Maule and had a big discussion on the phone. What it was was the end of the axle where the split is cut into it for the cotter pins was wider by a couple thousanths than the rest of the axle.Tom took a "Convincer" as he called it and a couple two by fours and pounded, or convinced the end of the axle to close up a bit. After this the nut went on just fine. Anyway Brian said he is having axles and the nut kits made out of shop so the problem shouldn't be a problem any more. I found the nuts fit on my old axles but not on the new one because of this problem. Anyway problem solved. . Afterward Started the engine since it hasn't run since my Incident and she fired right up. Oh and ON the nuts. The holes drilled into the nut have burrs on the inside where they go through the threads. I also told him about this and he assured me he would get on the people who drill the nuts for the spring /cotter pin holes. I know this all sounds weird but if you know what the nuts and springs are and look like you will know what I am talking about.Lets hear it for the old "Convincer" . Some mechanics just know their shit and the right tool to use in this high tech world of aviation. :shock: Thanks again Jeremy
Iceman