aux tank mod

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
flyfish1

aux tank mod

Post by flyfish1 »

I have an M4-220C with standard two tank 40 gallon fuel system. I would like to have the aux tank configuration. What am I looking at as far as cost, man hours and difficulty to do this modification. The 40 gallon set up has worked fine but would like to have more reserve for some extended IFR and VFR to more remote areas i.e. up to Alaska. If anyone has done this mod it would be nice to hear your thoughts. Thanks.
flyfish1

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Mauleairinc may have a price for the aux tanks kit.
Some wings were produced with the extra tubing installed (vent and feed to main tank). You will need tank bay bottom skin supports, tank top cover, tank, tank cap, tank cap fairing piece, tie in straps and turnbuckles, tank bay side rib change or nut plate installation, aux pump, anti siphon valve on vent line, wiring to aux pump and to sender and for gauges and panel switches.

Might be cheaper to buy used M5 wings with tanks and do the M5 to M4 wing mod.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

flyfish1

Post by flyfish1 »

Thanks Jeremy,
I was thinking that the M5 wing might be the way to go. Would that just require the wiring and gauge installation if I went that route.
flyfish1

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

A very few of the M5 wings were sold without aux tanks but had the infrastructure (tubing and wiring).
Yes, you will have to fit gauges and wires.
Someone on this forum in the past has dealt with this, so a diligent "search" might reveal info.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide